Why Is Torque Considered Positive in This Physics Problem?

In summary: Therefore, both are positive.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of torque and its relation to angular acceleration in a 2D problem. The confusion arises from the direction of the torque vector, which is positive for both torque and angular acceleration in this case. The example in the physics textbook demonstrates this concept and leads to a solution of ⅔ g for acceleration.
RanaiD
Hi,
I'm having trouble understanding this attached example in my physics textbook. It notes torque as being positive when substituted back into mg-Ft=-ma rather than being negative which I would think it would be because it is going in the clockwise direction. Can anyone help me understand why this is?

Ex: String is wrapped around a uniform solid cylinder (like a yo-yo) of mass M and radius R, and the cylinder starts to fall from rest, find the acceleration:
They do Ftension-mg=-ma (which I understand)
And then look for torque: torque=Ftension*R=I*angular acceleration. <-- This is where I diverge from what they do since I did torque=Ftension*R= - I * angular acceleration
They end up with ⅔ g, and I get 2g. Their answer obviously makes more sense so I don't understand why torque would be positive.
Also by the way, I is 1/2MR^2

Thank you for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Torque and angular acceleration are each vectors. In 2D problems, the "+" or "-" value indicates whether a vector points "into the page" or "out of the page". In the vector statement of the equation "torque = (moment of intertia)(angular acceleration), both the torque vector and the angular acceleration vector point in the same direction.

Likes CWatters

Related to Why Is Torque Considered Positive in This Physics Problem?

1. What is torque and how does it relate to positive and negative values?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. Positive torque refers to a rotation in a counterclockwise direction, while negative torque refers to a rotation in a clockwise direction.

2. How is torque determined in a system with multiple forces?

To determine torque in a system with multiple forces, you must calculate the individual torque of each force and then sum them together. The direction of the torque will depend on the direction of the force relative to the axis of rotation.

3. What are some examples of positive and negative torque in real-world applications?

Positive torque can be seen in a windmill or a bicycle wheel rotating counterclockwise, while negative torque can be seen in a car tire rotating clockwise to move forward.

4. Can torque be both positive and negative at the same time?

Yes, torque can be both positive and negative in a system. This can occur when there are multiple forces acting in different directions, resulting in a net torque that is not solely positive or negative.

5. How does the direction of torque affect the motion of an object?

The direction of torque affects the direction of the rotational motion of an object. If the net torque is positive, the object will rotate counterclockwise, and if the net torque is negative, the object will rotate clockwise.