1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Torque positive vs. negative

1. Dec 4, 2016 #1
    Hi,
    I'm having trouble understanding this attached example in my physics textbook. It notes torque as being positive when substituted back into mg-Ft=-ma rather than being negative which I would think it would be because it is going in the clockwise direction. Can anyone help me understand why this is?

Ex: String is wrapped around a uniform solid cylinder (like a yo-yo) of mass M and radius R, and the cylinder starts to fall from rest, find the acceleration:
    They do Ftension-mg=-ma (which I understand)
    And then look for torque: torque=Ftension*R=I*angular acceleration. <-- This is where I diverge from what they do since I did torque=Ftension*R= - I * angular acceleration
    They end up with ⅔ g, and I get 2g. Their answer obviously makes more sense so I don't understand why torque would be positive.
    Also by the way, I is 1/2MR^2

Thank you for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2016 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Torque and angular acceleration are each vectors. In 2D problems, the "+" or "-" value indicates whether a vector points "into the page" or "out of the page". In the vector statement of the equation "torque = (moment of intertia)(angular acceleration), both the torque vector and the angular acceleration vector point in the same direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted