Total energy within a specific region.

In summary, the electric field in a cubical region 1.0 m on a side between x=0 and x=1 m has a magnitude that varies with x but is independent of y and z. The total energy in this region is 3.933 μJ.
jlmccart03

Homework Statement

A cubical region 1.0 m on a side is located between x=0 and x=1 m. The region contains an electric field whose magnitude varies with x but is independent of y and z: E=E0(x/x0), where E0 = 32 kV/m and x0 = 6.0 m . The answer needs to be in μ J.

Find the total energy in this region.

Homework Equations

E=E0(x/x0)
∫u * dV

The Attempt at a Solution

So I took the integral and got 1/2ε0(E0)(x/x0)^2. When I plug in the numbers I get 3.933 μJ which is wrong? Am I missing a step?

Physics news on Phys.org
Exactly what integration did you set up? If you check the units on what you currently have you'll find that they don't work out to Joules.

I'd expect the result to involve the square of the field strength and involve some measure of the volume.

gneill said:
Exactly what integration did you set up? If you check the units on what you currently have you'll find that they don't work out to Joules.

I'd expect the result to involve the square of the field strength and involve some measure of the volume.
I did use the volume as just 12 since there is no dependence in the y and z directions so it was all in the x. So I simply used the integral ∫u * dV where dV is 12 and u is everything else. The constants are pulled out leaving me with an x which becomes x2 along with a 1/2 out front. I believe that should be correct?

What is the "everything else" that is u?

For an electric field the energy per unit volume (energy density) is given by ##\frac{1}{2}ε_o E^2##.

gneill said:
What is the "everything else" that is u?

For an electric field the energy per unit volume (energy density) is given by ##\frac{1}{2}ε_o E^2##.
The u is simply the E=E0(x/x0) is what I did. So I had the integral of ∫ u dV = ∫ 1/2 ε0(E0/x0) dV = 1/2 ε0(E0/x0)2x2

Last edited:
What happened to the x in the (x/x0) term? When you square it it should have become x2 inside the integral.

gneill said:
What happened to the x in the (x/x0) term? When you square it it should have become x2 inside the integral.
Yeah I miswrote and forgot to put it in. I edited my previous post which includes the x^2 variable.

No, the x2 is within the integral, so it should integrate to an x3 term in the result.

gneill said:
No, the x2 is within the integral, so it should integrate to an x3 term in the result.
Wait, where did the x^2 come from? I only have an x in the original integral. That should become x^2 not x^3.

As I stated before, the energy density is ##\frac{1}{2}ε_o E^2##. Your E is given by ##E = E_o \left( \frac{x}{x_o} \right)##. You'll be integrating the energy density over the volume.

When you square E for your integral, the (x/xo) term gets squared too.

gneill said:
As I stated before, the energy density is ##\frac{1}{2}ε_o E^2##. Your E is given by ##E = E_o \left( \frac{x}{x_o} \right)##. You'll be integrating the energy density over the volume.

When you square E for your integral, the (x/xo) term gets squared too.
OHHH, ok I didn't take that into account so does that mean you get the integral to be 1/6ε0E0(x3/x0) since everything, but the x is a constant can be pulled out prior to integration. Correct?

The ##E_o## and ##x_o## should end up squared. They were part of the E that was squared inside the integral. Otherwise, that looks much better :smile:

gneill said:
The ##E_o## and ##x_o## should end up squared. They were part of the E that was squared inside the integral. Otherwise, that looks much better :smile:
Yup, got the correct answer! Thanks for the help!

What is "total energy within a specific region"?

"Total energy within a specific region" refers to the sum of all forms of energy present in a particular area. This can include kinetic energy, potential energy, thermal energy, chemical energy, and more.

How is the total energy within a specific region calculated?

The calculation of total energy within a specific region involves adding up the individual energies of all the components present in the region. This can be done using various mathematical equations and formulas, depending on the types of energies involved.

Why is it important to study the total energy within a specific region?

Studying the total energy within a specific region is important for understanding the overall energy balance and dynamics of that area. It can also help in identifying potential energy sources and developing efficient energy management strategies.

What factors can affect the total energy within a specific region?

Various factors can affect the total energy within a specific region, including changes in temperature, altitude, pressure, and the presence of different energy sources. Human activities and natural phenomena can also impact the total energy within a region.

How can the total energy within a specific region be utilized?

The total energy within a specific region can be harnessed and utilized for various purposes, such as generating electricity, powering machines, and providing heat or cooling. This can help in reducing the dependence on non-renewable energy sources and promoting sustainable energy practices.