Total ground state energy of N fermions in a 3D box

In summary: E_total = (3/5)*N*E_Fermi In summary, the total ground state energy of N fermions in a three-dimensional box can be calculated using the equation E_total = 3/5*N*E_Fermi, where E_Fermi is the Fermi energy given by the equation E_Fermi = [(hbar^2)/2m]*[(3π^2*N)/V]^2/3.
kamaln
Hello everybody, I just have no idea how to start this problem so i was hoping you guys would point me in the right direction and then i'll be able to go on by myself

the problem asks to show that the total ground state energy of N fermions in a three dimensional box is given by E total = 3/5*N*(E fermi)

some relevant equations to this are:
D(E)dE=2(1/8)4pi*r^2 dr

N=[V(2m(E fermi))^(3/2)] / [3*(hbar^3)pi^2]

E fermi = [(hbar^2)/2m]*[(3pi^2*N)/V]^2/3

I don't have any attempt at a solution because i don't know how to begin proving that E total = 3/5*N*(E fermi). Thanks in advance for any help that I get.

Physics news on Phys.org
The first step is to define the total ground state energy. The total ground state energy of N fermions in a three-dimensional box is the sum of the single-particle energies of each fermion, given by: E_total = ∑_i^N E_i where E_i is the single-particle energy of the ith fermion. To calculate E_i, first use the equation D(E)dE=2(1/8)4πr2 dr to find the density of single-particle states with energy between E and E + dE. This gives:D(E) = [(2m/hbar^2)*(E/π)]^(3/2) Then, use this to calculate the Fermi energy E_Fermi, given by the equation: E_Fermi = [(hbar^2)/2m]*[(3π^2*N)/V]^2/3 Finally, use the equation for the density of single-particle states to calculate the single-particle energy of each fermion: E_i = (hbar^2/2m)*[(3π^2*i)/V]^2/3 where i is the index of the fermion, i.e. the ith fermion has an energy E_i. Now that the single-particle energies have been found, the total ground state energy can be calculated by summing these energies: E_total = ∑_i^N E_i = ∑_i^N (hbar^2/2m)*[(3π^2*i)/V]^2/3 After simplifying, this equation can be written as: E_total = (N/V)*(hbar^2/2m)*[(3π^2*N)/V]^2/3 which, after substituting the expression for the Fermi energy, reduces to:

1. What is the definition of total ground state energy in physics?

The total ground state energy refers to the lowest possible energy state that a system of particles can have. It is the state of minimum energy that a system can reach, and it is often used as a reference point for measuring the energy of other states.

2. What is the concept of fermions in physics?

Fermions are a type of elementary particle that follow the Pauli exclusion principle, which states that no two fermions can occupy the same quantum state at the same time. Examples of fermions include electrons, protons, and neutrons.

3. How is the total ground state energy of N fermions in a 3D box calculated?

The total ground state energy of N fermions in a 3D box is calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which takes into account the position and energy of each particle. This equation is then solved using mathematical techniques such as the variational method or the Hartree-Fock method.

4. What factors affect the total ground state energy of N fermions in a 3D box?

The total ground state energy of N fermions in a 3D box is affected by the number of particles (N), the size of the box, and the strength of the potential that confines the particles within the box. The type of potential also plays a role, as well as any interactions between the fermions.

5. What is the significance of studying the total ground state energy of N fermions in a 3D box?

Studying the total ground state energy of N fermions in a 3D box is important for understanding the behavior and properties of matter at the atomic and subatomic level. This information can also be applied in fields such as quantum mechanics, condensed matter physics, and nuclear physics.