Touble with acceleration/velocity problem

• Thread starter Hwarang
  • Start date
In summary, to find the final velocity of the emu after an additional 3.7 seconds, we use the equation [itex] \Delta v = a\Delta t[/tex], where the initial velocity is 13.9 m/s and the acceleration is -0.58 m/s^2. Plugging in these values, we get a final velocity of 9.86 m/s. Velocity can be negative, but in this case it is positive because the emu was slowing down.
Hwarang
trouble with acceleration/velocity problem

The land speed record of 13.9 m/s (31 mi/h) for birds is held by the Australian emu. An emu running due south in a straight line at this speed slows down to a speed of 12.0 m/s in 3.3 s.

Assuming that the acceleration remains the same, what is the bird's velocity after an additional 3.7 s has elapsed?

i know that you have to use...

A = ((Vfinal - Vinitial)/(Tfinal - Tinitial))

So we're solving for Vfinal.. For Vinitial, it would be 13.9m/s? And A would be -12m/s (neg. because slowing down). And for time.. would it be 7 sec-0 sec.?

thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You want to find the acceleration from the information given in thefirst two sentnces. Then from there use that acceleration to find the velocity at 7s. 13.9 would be hte initial velocity.

thx

thx! that helped a lot.
i got -4.0 m/s as the velocity... but i was wondering, can velocity be negative? is it because the emu was slowing down?

Was your average acceleration 0.58m/s^2? Thats what I got, then

[tex] \Delta v = a t [/tex]

[tex] \Delta v = 0.58 \times 7 = 4.06 m/s[/tex]

Recall this is the CHANGE in velocity. You started at 13.9m/s, and accelerating at that rate for 7 seconds you will lose 4.06 m/s. Whatis your final velocity?

Velocity CAN be negative, but in this case it shouldn't be.

sorry.. I'm a bit confused.

if Vinitial =13.9m/s.. and the change in velocity = 4m/s...
by plugging in everything
-0.5758m/s^2 = ((Vfinal - 13.9)/(7sec))
Vfinal = 9.86 m/s

yep thts rite

y don't u just use

v = u + at

where u=13.9 t=7 and a=-0.576

thx everyone!

Thats the right answer.

y don't u just use

v = u + at

where u=13.9 t=7 and a=-0.576

He did, the correct equation is [itex] \Delta v = a\Delta t[/tex]

By definitions of the delta operator it comes out to

[tex] V_f - V_i = at [/tex] where [itex] v_0 \ and \ v_i [/tex] are analogous.

Related to Touble with acceleration/velocity problem

1. What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time, while velocity is the rate of change of displacement over time. In simpler terms, acceleration measures how quickly an object is changing its speed, while velocity measures the object's speed and direction.

2. How do I calculate acceleration/velocity?

To calculate acceleration, divide the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented as a = Δv/Δt. To calculate velocity, divide the change in displacement by the change in time. This can be represented as v = Δd/Δt.

3. What is the difference between average and instantaneous acceleration/velocity?

Average acceleration/velocity is calculated by dividing the total change in velocity/dispacement by the total change in time. Instantaneous acceleration/velocity, on the other hand, is the acceleration/velocity at a specific moment in time.

4. How does acceleration affect velocity?

Acceleration affects velocity by changing its magnitude (speed) or direction. An increase in acceleration will result in a greater change in velocity, while a decrease in acceleration will result in a smaller change in velocity. Acceleration can also change the direction of an object's velocity.

5. What are some common problems with acceleration/velocity?

Common problems with acceleration/velocity include not accounting for changes in direction, using incorrect units in calculations, and not considering external factors such as air resistance or friction. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and use the correct equations and units to accurately solve for acceleration and velocity.