Solving an Integral: 2x^3/(x^3-1)

• Thread starter the.flea
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, Mr Flea is trying to solve an equation involving integration of the integral of a power function with respect to x. He is having trouble proceeding with the last part of the problem, and asks for help. He explains that he could do the polynomial division but it would not be as straightforward. He then asks for help with partial fractions decomposition.
the.flea

Homework Statement

Integral of: 2x^3/(x^3-1) with respect to x.

The Attempt at a Solution

you can divide them to get sum of integrals.
=int(2,x) + 2*int(1/(x^-1),x)
=2x + 2*int(1/(x^-1),x)

Im having trouble proceeding with the last part, i just need help getting started.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think there is an error in your polynomial division if what you are meaning to say is that

[tex]\frac{2x^3}{x^3-1}=2+2\frac{1}{x^{-1}}=2+2x[/tex]

The way that I would do it is to split up the integral like this..

[tex]\int\frac{2x^3}{x^3-1}dx=\int x \frac{2x^2}{x^3-1}dx=x\ln{(x^3-1)}-\int \ln{(x^3-1)}dx[/tex]

where you get to the last part of the equality by doing by parts on the split up parts.

By the way you could do the polynomial division but it wouldn't make it much simpler, I think you just get

[tex]\frac{2x^3}{x^3-1}=\frac{2}{x^3-1}+2[/tex]

Last edited:
I realize how ridiculous integral threads can become when everyone wants to chip in with their 'better' method, but I think it's worth mentioning that if you'd rather not integrate [tex]\ln{(x^3-1)}[/tex] as Jeff's approach requires, another path is to factorise the original integrand's denominator and use partial fractions.

Show us your work if you get stuck, Mr Flea.

thats the thing i know how to integrate ln(x) where x is any function wih power 1.
ln(x^3-1)
let t = x^3-1 --> 3x^2dx=dt when i sub that in i don't know how to proceed
=ln(t)dt/3x^2 --> maybe another substitution, ie let u=3x^2, du=6xdt,
any help guys?

Last edited:
Unco said:
I realize how ridiculous integral threads can become when everyone wants to chip in with their 'better' method, but I think it's worth mentioning that if you'd rather not integrate [tex]\ln{(x^3-1)}[/tex] as Jeff's approach requires, another path is to factorise the original integrand's denominator and use partial fractions.

Show us your work if you get stuck, Mr Flea.

Before you start in with partial fractions decomposition, the rational expression should be made into a proper rational expression, one for which the degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator.

2x^3/(x^3 - 1) = 2 + 2/(x^3 - 1)

Now you can factor the denominator in the second term and use partial fractions.

1. What is the process for solving an integral?

The process for solving an integral involves finding the antiderivative or indefinite integral of the given function. This is done by using integration techniques such as u-substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution.

2. How do I determine which integration technique to use?

The integration technique used depends on the form of the function and the given limits of integration. It may require trial and error or recognizing patterns in the function to determine the appropriate technique.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve an integral?

Yes, many calculators have integral functions that can solve simple integrals. However, for more complex integrals, it may be necessary to use integration techniques by hand.

4. What is the purpose of solving an integral?

Solving an integral is used to find the area under a curve, and it is also useful in many other applications such as calculating volumes, work done, and average values of a function.

5. Is there a shortcut or formula for solving integrals?

There are various integration formulas and rules that can be used to solve integrals, but there is no one-size-fits-all shortcut for solving all integrals. It often requires applying multiple techniques and strategies to find the solution.