How Is the Equilibrium Constant Calculated for I2 and I- in KI Solution?

In summary, a saturated solution of iodine contains 0.330g of I2/L. More than this can dissolve in a KI solution because of the equilibrium-I2(aq) +I-(aq) ------> I3- (aq) where 2 and 3 are subscripts and - is negative charge.
zorro

Homework Statement

A saturated solution of iodine in water contains 0.330g of I2/L. More than this can dissolve in a KI solution because of the following equilibrium-

I2(aq) +I-(aq) ------> I3- (aq) where 2 and 3 are subscripts and - is negative charge

A 0.1M KI solution actually dissolves 12.5g of iodine/L, mmost of which is converted to I3-. Assuming that the concentration of I2 in all saturated solutions is same, calculate the equilibrium constant for the above reaction.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

0.33g/L is 0.0013 mole and 12.5g/L is 0.0492 mole
I don't know how to proceed

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Start writing expression for equilibrium constant. Then think which concentrations you are given, and which you can calculate from the simple stoichiometry.

Last edited by a moderator:
K=[I3-]/[I2][I-]

Actually, I did not understand the problem. A saturated solution of Iodine in water is given to us.
What is the meaning of 'A 0.1M KI solution actually dissolves 12.5g of iodine/L'
how does this info help us?

Why does the iodides solution contain more iodine than solution in pure water?

It is so because KI is added to it.
0.1M KI dissolves 0.0492 mole I2
but we have only 0.0013 mole I2 so all of it dissolves and converts into I3-
moles of KI left = 0.1-0.0013
Is this approach correct?

No, there was excess iodine present. It was not dissolved, but it was added as a solid, thus there is much more I3- present.

How much? That's where the mass of dissolved iodine comes handy.

excess iodine present in KI solution or saturated solution of Iodine in water?

No idea what you are asking about. SOLID iodine. Solutions are in contact with the solid. Concentrations given are for the SOLUTIONS.

I would be thankful to you if you write the concentrations at equilibrium as this question is very vague to me.

Concentration of free iodine is identical with the concentration in pure water. Total concentration of iodine dissolved is sum of free iodine and I3-. Simple subtraction will give you concentration of I3-, then simple stoichiometry will tell you how much I- was left.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks alot. I understood it clearly now.

1. What is chemical equilibrium?

Chemical equilibrium is a state in which the concentrations of reactants and products in a chemical reaction remain constant over time. This occurs when the rate of the forward reaction is equal to the rate of the reverse reaction.

2. How do you determine the equilibrium constant of a chemical reaction?

The equilibrium constant, denoted as K, is determined by taking the ratio of the concentrations of products to the concentrations of reactants, each raised to the power of their respective coefficients in the balanced chemical equation. It is a measure of the extent to which a reaction proceeds towards products at equilibrium.

3. What factors can affect chemical equilibrium?

The factors that can affect chemical equilibrium include changes in temperature, pressure, and concentrations of reactants and products. Le Chatelier's principle states that when a system at equilibrium is disturbed, it will shift in a way that reduces the disturbance and restores equilibrium.

4. How do you calculate the concentrations of reactants and products at equilibrium?

The concentrations of reactants and products at equilibrium can be calculated using the equilibrium constant and the initial concentrations of reactants and products. These values can be plugged into the equilibrium expression and solved for the unknown concentrations.

5. Can chemical equilibrium be altered or controlled?

Chemical equilibrium can be altered or controlled by changing the conditions of the reaction, such as temperature, pressure, or concentrations of reactants and products. This can shift the equilibrium towards the desired products or reactants, and is often used in industrial processes to increase the yield of a desired product.