1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Transfer Functions (General Question)

1. Apr 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Just a generic question. If you have Laplace-transformed differential equation like s3Y + sY = g/s + X, where g is a constant, how do you handle manipulating the equation to get the transfer function Y/X? I feel like I've done this before, but I'm having a severe mental block.

2. The attempt at a solution

I've had some thoughts, but can't get anywhere with them. The constant g has nothing to do with X, so any attempts at factoring have been unsuccessful. I thought about some kind of superposition, but am not sure how that would work. Any guidance or hints would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2010 #2
    try move the g/s over to the left side of the equation. s3Y + sY - g*s-1 = X. Then do the transformation(use the table).

4. Apr 11, 2010 #3
    Thank you, but let me try to clarify a bit.

I don't require getting it back into the time domain. I'm just trying to find the transfer function with an output Y for an input X (in the s domain). To illustrate the problem I am encountering, simplifying you'll get Y(s4 + s2) = g + sX. The problem is that I need the quantity Y/X in terms of only g and s, and dividing both sides by X doesn't quite get the job done.

My thought is that there might be a partial fraction expansion or something I am missing.

5. Apr 11, 2010 #4
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but after a bit more reading and thinking: For the purposes of a useful transfer function, the constant term can be dropped because it is representative of an initial condition, right?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook