How Is Heat Transferred Through Skin Layers?

• Thread starter Andrews989
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat
In summary, the problem involves calculating the temperature difference between the capillaries and the surface of the skin given the rate of heat transfer, thermal conductivity, surface area, and distance. Using the equation Q/t = k * A * change in T / L, the answer is determined to be 1.5 degrees.
Andrews989

Homework Statement

The amount of heat per second conducted from the blood capillaries beneath the skin to the
surface is 240 J. The energy is transferred a distance of 2.0×10−3mthrough a body whose surface area is 1.6 m2. Assuming that the thermal conductivity is that of body fat 0.2 J /(s ⋅m⋅o C) , determine the temperature difference between the capillaries and the surface of the skin.

So k = .2
A = 1.6 m^2
L = 2.0 x 10^-3m

I'm not sure what the 240 J goes as? Is that Q?

Homework Equations

This is basically where I'm stuck... I'm not sure what equation to use.

I was thinking possibly Q = k * A * change in T * time all divided by L ... but there's no mention of time?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You wrote down the right equation. Notice that give you a rate of heat transfer so you can divide time over to the left side of the equation.

Then it's just a substitution of information problem.

AtticusFinch said:
You wrote down the right equation. Notice that give you a rate of heat transfer so you can divide time over to the left side of the equation.

Then it's just a substitution of information problem.

So...

Q/t = k * A * change in T / L

240 = .2 * 1.6 * change in T / 2 X 10^-3

So the answer would be 1.5 degrees?

I think that's right... thanks

1. What is heat transfer?

Heat transfer is the movement of thermal energy from one object to another due to a temperature difference between the two objects. It can occur through three main methods: conduction, convection, and radiation.

2. How does conduction transfer heat?

Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between objects. When two objects of different temperatures come into contact, the hotter object will transfer thermal energy to the colder object until they reach thermal equilibrium.

3. What is convection and how does it transfer heat?

Convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids (liquids or gases). As a fluid is heated, it becomes less dense and rises, carrying thermal energy with it. The cooler, denser fluid then sinks, creating a continuous cycle of heat transfer.

4. Can heat transfer occur in a vacuum?

Yes, heat transfer can occur in a vacuum through the process of radiation. Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves, such as infrared radiation from the sun.

5. How does the rate of heat transfer change with temperature difference?

The rate of heat transfer is directly proportional to the temperature difference between two objects. This means that the greater the temperature difference, the faster heat will transfer between the objects.