Calculating Transition Energies from 2p to 1s: Need Help with Formula?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of 2p → 1s transition energies for different types of atoms, including hydrogen, deuterium, and positronium. The questioner is seeking help in finding the formula for calculating these energies, and it is suggested that the Rydberg equation can be used. It is also mentioned that the question should be posted in a specific forum for homework help.
HastiM
I shall calculate the 2p → 1s transition energies for hydrogen, deuterium (one proton plus one neutron in the nucleus), and positronium (bound state of an electron and a positron).

My problem with this exercise is that I couldn't find a formula to calculate the transition energies. Can someone tell me which formula can be used to determine them? Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything in my books or the internet. I would appreciate your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
HastiM said:
I shall calculate the 2p → 1s transition energies for hydrogen, deuterium (one proton plus one neutron in the nucleus), and positronium (bound state of an electron and a positron).

My problem with this exercise is that I couldn't find a formula to calculate the transition energies. Can someone tell me which formula can be used to determine them? Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything in my books or the internet. I would appreciate your help.
Energy levels in hydrogenic atoms are, to a first approximation, only dependent on the principal quantum number, n.
Since the question does not consider the spin-orbit splitting of the 2p orbital, which is about an order of magnitude larger than the difference between the 2p and the 2s energy levels for hydrogen, we can you are expected to use the Rydberg equation.

Likes teoul, DrClaude and HastiM
Such a question should be posted in the Introductory Physics Homework forum. If the hint from @Vagn is not sufficient and you still have questions, please re-post there. Remember to fill the homework template and give an attempt at a solution.

Thread closed.

1. What is transition energy 2p to 1s?

Transition energy 2p to 1s refers to the energy released when an electron in the 2p orbital of an atom transitions to the 1s orbital. This energy is typically in the form of electromagnetic radiation.

2. Why does transition energy 2p to 1s occur?

This transition occurs because electrons naturally seek to occupy the lowest possible energy state, and the 1s orbital is the lowest energy state for an electron in an atom. When an electron in the 2p orbital transitions to the 1s orbital, it releases energy in the form of electromagnetic radiation.

3. How is transition energy 2p to 1s measured?

The transition energy 2p to 1s can be measured using spectroscopy techniques. By analyzing the wavelengths of the electromagnetic radiation emitted during the transition, scientists can determine the exact amount of energy released.

4. Can transition energy 2p to 1s be manipulated?

Yes, transition energy 2p to 1s can be manipulated through external factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other atoms or molecules. These factors can affect the energy levels of electrons and therefore impact the transition energy.

5. What are the practical applications of transition energy 2p to 1s?

The study of transition energy 2p to 1s has various practical applications, including in fields such as chemistry, materials science, and astronomy. Understanding this energy transition can help scientists better understand the properties and behavior of atoms and molecules, as well as aid in the development of new technologies.