Tricky Logarithmic Indefinite Integral

In summary: Thanks for the help!In summary, the homework statement is trying to find a solution to a problem that may have been illegal due to using a different function for ln(x)+1 than what is specified.
Liquid7800

Homework Statement

Hi,
Our professor has only taught us these methods for Integration...thus far:

• Direct Integration

• Substituion Method

So theoretically we should be able to solve this problem without using Integration by parts or partial fractions...:

Integrate X^(2x)*ln(x+1)

It should be solvable by substitution, direct integration...(double substitution) by algebraic manipulation etc.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my attempt at a solution...I am concerned I am performing illegal operations, and I would appreciate some help in correcting my errors...
thanks...(see attached)

l_9ac62fd42ba64c70a60d3ad478c85a18.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
There is some correct stuff in there. Did you notice that point at which ln(x)+1 turned into ln(x+1)? That's not legal. Things went downhill from there. I would suggest you write x^(2x) as e^(2x*ln(x)) and substitute u=x*ln(x). It might go easier. What's du? Uh, actually that may be the whole problem. I think ln x+1 is supposed to be ln(x)+1 not ln(x+1). They are very different.

What's du? Uh, actually that may be the whole problem. I think ln x+1 is supposed to be ln(x)+1 not ln(x+1). They are very different.

Thanks...I think you are right...it probably is ln(x)+1 not ln(x+1) (no WONDER it seemed so weird)...I will try again and see what happens..

Thanks alot!

Hi,

Here is my new attempt at this problem...I follwed your suggestions and here is what I came up with...
I appreciate any feed back or suggestions. Thank you!

l_3f3584792cf247de9c9abfa5b57ea2c1.jpg

You can simplify your answer, but you also didn't integrate e2u correctly.

I think it would have been just as easy, if not easier, to use u = x2x. Then du turns out real nice.

Thanks for the heads up...

You can simplify your answer, but you also didn't integrate e2u correctly.

Your right!...my bad.

I re-did the last part with another round of substitution and finally got:

e^2(x Ln(x))

or

X^2x

Does this seem right?

Liquid7800 said:
Thanks for the heads up...

Your right!...my bad.

I re-did the last part with another round of substitution and finally got:

e^2(x Ln(x))

or

X^2x

Does this seem right?

That's right. You could always check an integral by differentiating it. :wink:

1. What is a logarithmic indefinite integral?

A logarithmic indefinite integral is a mathematical expression that represents the antiderivative of a logarithmic function. It involves finding the original function that, when differentiated, gives the given logarithmic function.

2. How do you solve a tricky logarithmic indefinite integral?

Solving a tricky logarithmic indefinite integral requires using various integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. It also involves understanding the properties of logarithmic functions and their derivatives.

3. Are there any tips for solving tricky logarithmic indefinite integrals?

Yes, some tips for solving tricky logarithmic indefinite integrals include rewriting the expression in a different form, using logarithmic identities, and carefully choosing the substitution variable. It is also helpful to practice and familiarize yourself with different types of logarithmic integrals.

4. Can you provide an example of a tricky logarithmic indefinite integral?

One example of a tricky logarithmic indefinite integral is ∫ x ln(x) dx. This integral can be solved using integration by parts, where u = ln(x) and dv = x dx. After applying the integration by parts formula, the solution is x(ln(x) - 1) + C.

5. Why are logarithmic indefinite integrals important in science?

Logarithmic indefinite integrals are important in science because they are used to find the relationships between variables in many scientific equations. They are also crucial in solving differential equations, which are used to model various phenomena in science and engineering.