1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tricky Logarithmic Indefinite Integral

1. Sep 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi,
    Our professor has only taught us these methods for Integration...thus far:

• Direct Integration

• Substituion Method

So theoretically we should be able to solve this problem without using Integration by parts or partial fractions...:

Integrate X^(2x)*ln(x+1)

It should be solvable by substitution, direct integration...(double substitution) by algebraic manipulation etc.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is my attempt at a solution...I am concerned I am performing illegal operations, and I would appreciate some help in correcting my errors...
    thanks....(see attached)

l_9ac62fd42ba64c70a60d3ad478c85a18.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is some correct stuff in there. Did you notice that point at which ln(x)+1 turned into ln(x+1)? That's not legal. Things went downhill from there. I would suggest you write x^(2x) as e^(2x*ln(x)) and substitute u=x*ln(x). It might go easier. What's du? Uh, actually that may be the whole problem. I think ln x+1 is supposed to be ln(x)+1 not ln(x+1). They are very different.

4. Sep 25, 2009 #3
    Thanks...I think you are right....it probably is ln(x)+1 not ln(x+1) (no WONDER it seemed so weird)...I will try again and see what happens..

Thanks alot!

5. Sep 27, 2009 #4
    Hi,

Here is my new attempt at this problem...I follwed your suggestions and here is what I came up with...
    I appreciate any feed back or suggestions. Thank you!

l_3f3584792cf247de9c9abfa5b57ea2c1.jpg

6. Sep 27, 2009 #5
    You can simplify your answer, but you also didn't integrate e2u correctly.

I think it would have been just as easy, if not easier, to use u = x2x. Then du turns out real nice.

7. Sep 27, 2009 #6
    Thanks for the heads up...

Your right!...my bad.

I re-did the last part with another round of substitution and finally got:

e^2(x Ln(x))

or

X^2x

Does this seem right?

8. Sep 27, 2009 #7
    That's right. You could always check an integral by differentiating it. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook