Tricky Spring-Mass Problem (Vibrations)

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vibrations
In summary, when the driving or excitation force is applied at the joint between the two springs, one has to determine the equations of motion for each spring, as it is a coupled system. The magnitude of the force acting on P depends on the phase between F(t) and mg, which is affected by the frequency of the excitation force and the natural frequency of the spring.
Saladsamurai
This is for a vibrations course. A force F(t)=Focos(w*t) is applied to a point on a spring located 25% of its length from the fixed end (at the ceiling).

I am trying to write out Newton's 2nd for the block. This requires that I find how much of F(t) is transmitted to the block.

I am a little confused as to where to start.

I am also confused as to why they labeled the different parts of the spring with different spring constants? (see figure below from solution) Why do different parts of the spring have different constants. Is k a function of length?

Picture7-2.png

Any ideas are appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Spring constant is determined by the material and dimensional characteristics, e.g. wire diameter and its pitch (coils/unit length), so two springs could have different spring constants, k1 and k2.

In this problem the driving or excitation force is applied at the joint between the two springs.

One has to determine the equations of motion for each spring. It is a coupled system.

Does one consider the spring masses?

Are l/4 and 3l/4 the equilibrium lengths of the springs?

Astronuc said:
Spring constant is determined by the material and dimensional characteristics, e.g. wire diameter and its pitch (coils/unit length), so two springs could have different spring constants, k1 and k2.

In this problem the driving or excitation force is applied at the joint between the two springs.

One has to determine the equations of motion for each spring. It is a coupled system.

Does one consider the spring masses?

Are l/4 and 3l/4 the equilibrium lengths of the springs?

They are not two separate springs. It is one spring with a force applied .25L from the ceiling.

Mass of spring = 0

I am thinking that I should make a 'cut' at the point where F(t) is being applied.
I will call that point P and draw a free-body diagram.

I am confused as to how to determine the magnitude of the forces acting on P.
They both oppose the motion at all times (that is, they are negative).

One is a result of the top 25% is spring and one from the bottom .75%

And L is the length of the spring when the mass is at equilibrium.

Last edited:
One could write two equations using k1 = k2 = k. The response depends on the phase betwen F(t) and mg, which is affected by the frequency of the excitation force and the natural fequency of the spring.

1. What is the "Tricky Spring-Mass Problem"?

The "Tricky Spring-Mass Problem" is a physics problem that involves a mass attached to a spring and oscillating back and forth. It is called "tricky" because it requires a thorough understanding of concepts such as energy conservation and differential equations to solve.

2. How do you solve the "Tricky Spring-Mass Problem"?

The "Tricky Spring-Mass Problem" can be solved using a combination of energy conservation and differential equations. First, the forces acting on the mass are determined and then the equations of motion are set up. These equations are then solved using techniques such as integration to find the position and velocity of the mass at any given time.

3. What are the key concepts needed to solve the "Tricky Spring-Mass Problem"?

The key concepts needed to solve the "Tricky Spring-Mass Problem" include energy conservation, Hooke's law, and differential equations. Understanding how energy is transferred between kinetic and potential energy in a spring-mass system is crucial in solving this problem. Additionally, a strong understanding of differential equations is needed to set up and solve the equations of motion.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving the "Tricky Spring-Mass Problem"?

One common mistake when solving the "Tricky Spring-Mass Problem" is not considering all the forces acting on the mass, such as friction or air resistance. Another mistake is not properly setting up and solving the differential equations, which can lead to incorrect solutions. It is important to carefully consider all the variables and equations involved in order to avoid these mistakes.

5. How is the "Tricky Spring-Mass Problem" useful in real-world applications?

The "Tricky Spring-Mass Problem" has many real-world applications, such as in the design of suspension systems for vehicles or the analysis of earthquake vibrations. Understanding how a mass attached to a spring behaves can also help in the design of structures that need to withstand vibrations, such as bridges or buildings. Additionally, the problem allows for a better understanding of energy conservation and differential equations, which are important concepts in various fields of science and engineering.