Solving Equations: Exact and Decimal Forms

In summary: The other solution will be 2x+1= - \frac{2\pi}{3}.In summary, the conversation discusses solving trigonometric equations, specifically 1 = 8cos(2x + 1) - 3 and 1 = 8tan(2x + 1) - 3. The first equation is solved by adding 3 to both sides and then dividing by 8, giving a solution of cos(2x + 1) = 1/2. The second equation is solved by adding 3 to both sides and then dividing by 8, giving a solution of tan(2x + 1) = 1/2. However, the solutions do not work
Jacobpm64
Find a solution to the equation if possible.
Give the answer in exact form and in decimal form.

1 = 8cos(2x + 1) - 3
1 = 8tan(2x + 1) - 3

I don't know how to do this one.. but I know how to do the simpler ones like..

2 = 5sin(3x)
2/5 = sin(3x)
(sin-1(2/5)) / 3 = 0.137172

Those are easier... but the one I've said before...

1 = 8cos(2x + 1) - 3 is tough..
1/8 = cos(2x + 1) - 3
3.125 = cos(2x + 1)
{[cos-1(3.125)] / 2} - 1

Is this correct thus far, and if it is... cos-1(3.125) is nonreal. So I guess there are no solutions...

How about this one?

1 = 8tan(2x + 1) - 3
1/8 = tan(2x + 1) - 3
3.125 = tan(2x + 1)
{[tan-1(3.125)] / 2} - 1 = -0.369453

But, the right side doesn't evaluate to 1 when you plug -0.369453 in for x :frown:

I don't know where to go with these.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, this is a "calc and beyond" and this is a trig question. Second, call the argument something like u. The problem "looks" a whole lot easier this way. Next try chaning the tangent function into another form, namely sines and cosines. You'll find the answer falls out rather quickly.

Jacobpm64 said:
1 = 8cos(2x + 1) - 3 is tough..
1/8 = cos(2x + 1) - 3
Ouch! You probably learned that multiplying by 8 on one side, is dividing by it on the other side.
However: there's the -3 that has to go first! It's better to remember the rules:
- you may multiply both sides with a non-zero number
- you may add the same number to both sides

Now, if you'd want to get rid of the 8, you'd have to multiply both sides with 1/8, but that would also give -3/8 on the right side, and no longer a -3.
What you would probably do is first add 3 to both sides (i.e. changing sides of -3), giving 1+3 = 8cos(2x + 1). Now you can remove the 8, giving:

4/8 = cos(2x + 1) <=> cos(2x + 1) = 1/2.

And a cosine can surely be 1/2, so this will have a solution, actually two.
You're making the same mistake with the tan-equation.

Last edited:
haha, sometimes it's fun to laugh at our own stupidity...

Why did I think the right side was a monomial for some reason? I guess I just didn't look at it like I should have. This is a lot easier than I was making it out to be.

Thanks for pointing out my idiocy though lol.

so, let's try that again...

1 = 8cos(2x + 1) - 3
4 = 8cos(2x + 1)
1/2 = cos(2x + 1)

Where do I go from here? .. I'm not sure

{[cos-1(1/2)] / 2} - 1 = -0.476401

But that answer doesn't work when plugged back in for x..

You made the same mistake again, you got to cos-1(1/2)=2x+1 OK, but then you divided by 2 without dividing the 1!

cos(u)= 1/2 gives [itex]u= \frac{2\pi}{3}[/itex] as principal value.
Now, you have [itex]2x+1= \frac{2\pi}{3}[/itex]. Solve that for x.

1. What is the difference between exact and decimal forms when solving equations?

The main difference between exact and decimal forms when solving equations is the level of precision. Exact forms involve using fractions or whole numbers to represent the solution, while decimal forms involve using decimal numbers to represent the solution. Exact forms are considered more accurate, but decimal forms can be easier to work with in certain situations.

2. How do I know which form to use when solving equations?

The form you use when solving equations depends on the given problem and the desired level of precision. If the problem involves real-world measurements or requires a specific level of accuracy, decimal forms may be more appropriate. If the problem involves mathematical concepts or requires an exact solution, then exact forms should be used.

3. Can I convert between exact and decimal forms when solving equations?

Yes, it is possible to convert between exact and decimal forms when solving equations. This can be done by either converting fractions to decimals or decimals to fractions. When converting fractions to decimals, divide the numerator by the denominator. For converting decimals to fractions, write the decimal as a fraction with the decimal number as the numerator and a power of 10 as the denominator.

4. Are there any common mistakes to watch out for when solving equations in decimal form?

One common mistake when solving equations in decimal form is rounding errors. It is important to keep track of the number of decimal places and round only at the end of the problem to avoid inaccurate results. Another mistake is using the wrong conversion factor when converting between units, which can lead to incorrect solutions.

5. How can I check my solution when solving equations in exact form?

To check your solution when solving equations in exact form, you can plug the solution back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. Another way to check is to graph the equation and the solution, and see if they intersect at the correct point. Additionally, you can use a calculator to evaluate both sides of the equation with the solution and see if they result in the same value.