Trig homework question (yes, it involves fairly advanced physics)

In summary, the problem states that an airplane is sighted at the same time by two ground observers who are 4 miles apart and in line with the airplane. They report the angles of elevation as 15 and 20 degrees and the question is to determine the height of the airplane. However, due to the finite and constant speed of light, the observers must be seeing the airplane at two different points in its flight. This means that the lengths of the hypotenuses in the two right triangles will be different, and it may be necessary to know the speed of the airplane in order to solve the problem accurately.
nealh149
I'm a junior in an honors trigonometry class, and am also studying some more advanced physics on my own. So I've decided to try to solve the problem accounting for the speed of light. here is the problem.

An airplane is sighted at the same time by two ground observers who are 4 miles apart and in line with the airplane. They report the angles of elevation as 15 and 20 degrees. How high is the airplane?

I've rendered this problem unsolvable, and here is my reasons. Because the plane is sighted by both parties simultaneously, that must mean the line of sight distance in both cases must be equal because the speen of light is finite and constant. Therefore, you have 2 systems with two variables each, both have a varying height of the plane and distance to the point under the plane. The only info you have is one angle in each triangle, and that these triangle's hypotonuses are equal.

Does this make sense to anybody else?

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless I am reading the last part wrong, you don't have two triangles with equal hypotenuses. You end up with one triangle, three different angles, and three differing sides.

Also, I think you can take out the differing times they see the plan due to lights speed. Since they are only 4 miles apart and human, there probably isn't much of a difference when the light gets there.

Thanks for the quick response, but I think you misunderstood my first post, i was probably unclear.

The problem states that they see the airplane at the same time. If this means that if it was the EXACT same time, the line of sight distance must be the exact time. If c remains constant, t remains constant, then d must remain constant.

Well, maybe it depends on what class this is for. ;)

You were clear in you first post, just maybe looking too far into the question. Since they are so close the time they both see the plane is so small, there is no way they'd notice a difference. But, factor that in and see how small the difference in time is. You will see, it is barely even there.

Does that make sense? :rofl:

Just to make it clear, I'm doing this for my own further understanding, and am not actually handing in this solution.

But to my understanding, wouldn't the times in this case be the same, because both observers saw the plane at the same time. Since this remains constant, so doesn't the distance.

nealh149 said:
I'm a junior in an honors trigonometry class, and am also studying some more advanced physics on my own. So I've decided to try to solve the problem accounting for the speed of light. here is the problem.
An airplane is sighted at the same time by two ground observers who are 4 miles apart and in line with the airplane. They report the angles of elevation as 15 and 20 degrees. How high is the airplane?
I've rendered this problem unsolvable, and here is my reasons. Because the plane is sighted by both parties simultaneously, that must mean the line of sight distance in both cases must be equal because the speen of light is finite and constant. Therefore, you have 2 systems with two variables each, both have a varying height of the plane and distance to the point under the plane. The only info you have is one angle in each triangle, and that these triangle's hypotonuses are equal.
No, that's wrong. The fact that the two observers see the plane at the same time means that the observers are seeing the plane in two different places in its flight.

If the height of the airplane is "h", you can calculate the lengths of the hypotenuses of the two right triangles as a function of h. Given that, you can find the difference in times for light to travel to each observer. It might well be that you need to know the speed of the airplane in order to answer this.

1. What is Trigonometry and how is it related to physics?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of triangles and their relationships. In physics, trigonometry is often used to calculate distances, angles, and forces in various systems and phenomena.

2. How is Trigonometry used in advanced physics?

Trigonometry is used extensively in advanced physics to solve complex problems involving waves, vibrations, rotations, and other physical phenomena. It is also used in the study of projectile motion, circular motion, and oscillations.

3. Can you give an example of how Trigonometry is used in physics?

One example is the use of trigonometric functions to describe the motion of a pendulum. The position of the pendulum at any given time can be described using trigonometric equations, and these equations can also be used to calculate the period and amplitude of the pendulum's motion.

4. How can I use Trigonometry to solve physics problems?

To solve physics problems using trigonometry, you will need to have a good understanding of the basic trigonometric functions (sine, cosine, and tangent) and their relationships. You will also need to be able to apply these functions to real-world situations, such as calculating distances, angles, and forces in a given system or situation.

5. Are there any tips for using Trigonometry in physics?

One useful tip is to draw diagrams to visualize the problem and identify the relevant angles and sides. Another tip is to understand the relationships between the trigonometric functions, as this can help you simplify and solve equations more easily. Practice and familiarity with the concepts are also key to effectively using trigonometry in physics.