Solving Integral of "(u)^2 dx": Steps to Turn dx into du

In summary, to find the integral of cos(x)^2 dx, you can use the substitution u = cos(x), du/dx = -sin(x). However, you cannot multiply by sin(x) inside the integral and divide by sin(x) outside the integral. Instead, you can use the trig identities cos2(x)= (1/2)(1+ cos(2x)) and sin2(x)= (1/2)(1- cos(2x)) to solve the problem. Alternatively, you can use Euler's formula, but this requires knowledge of complex numbers and may be more advanced.
Goldenwind
To find: Integral of "cos(x)^2 dx"
This becomes: Integral of "(u)^2 dx"
Where: u = cos(x), du/dx = -sin(x)

Problem is, du = -sin(x)dx... where do I get the -sin(x) from? If it was 16dx, I could multiply everything by 16/16, move 16/1 inside the integral, couple it with dx, and switch the 16dx for du... but am I allowed to multiply everything by -sin(x)/-sin(x)? The fact that it has x in it is what throws me off.

Showing the steps, how would you turn that dx into du?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Goldenwind said:
but am I allowed to multiply everything by -sin(x)/-sin(x)? The fact that it has x in it is what throws me off.
Yes, you are allowed to do so. After all, isn't sin(x) = sin(x) for all values of x?

But I would suggest that you employ Euler's formula to solve this particular problem. It's much simpler.

EDIT: The 'i' in the OP seems to have vanished! Anyway, either a simple trig identity involving the square of the cosine function or the Euler's formula can be used to solve the problem in a couple of steps.

Last edited:
neutrino said:
Yes, you are allowed to do so. After all, isn't sin(x) = sin(x) for all values of x?

But I would suggest that you employ Euler's formula to solve this particular problem. It's much simpler.
I wasn't familiar with this formula you speak of, so I did some quick searching, found this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eulerian_integral

Looked in my textbook... and it IS in there, but it's many many chapters ahead, and I don't understand that either. =/

Could you explain how I could apply it here? The format seems completely different, plus I'm doing a basic antiderivative, not finding the area from A to B :(

Goldenwind said:
I wasn't familiar with this formula you speak of, so I did some quick searching, found this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eulerian_integral

Looked in my textbook... and it IS in there, but it's many many chapters ahead, and I don't understand that either. =/
:eek: I was referring to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler's_formula
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/EulerFormula.html

I suggested that because I saw an 'i' in your first post, and assumed that you were familiar with complex numbers.

Could you explain how I could apply it here? The format seems completely different, plus I'm doing a basic antiderivative, not finding the area from A to B :(
See the edit. You must be familiar with trig. identities involving the the square of cos. (or you could look them up.) Use one of them.

Yeah, sorry about the i thing. Whenever I do homework on the computer, I use Sqrt() for square root, i() for integrals, etc. Just sort of like a personal system :)
Thanks for your help!

No, you cannot multiply by sin(x) inside the integral and divide by sin(x) outside the integral!

Precisely because there is no "sin(x)" inside the integral already, you cannot use the "u= cos(x)" substitution. The standard way of integrating even powers of sine or cosine is to use the identities cos2(x)= (1/2)(1+ cos(2x)) and sin2(x)= (1/2)(1- cos(2x).

You need to know your tirg identities by heart.

http://www.mathlinks.ro/Forum/weblog_entry.php?p=968378#968378

What is the purpose of solving the integral of (u)^2 dx?

The purpose of solving the integral of (u)^2 dx is to find the antiderivative or indefinite integral of the given function. This allows us to find the original function by differentiating the antiderivative.

What are the steps involved in turning dx into du?

The steps involved in turning dx into du are:

• Identify the variable that is being integrated (in this case, u).
  • Substitute u for the variable in the integrand (the function being integrated).
  • Find the derivative of u, du, with respect to the new variable.
  • Replace dx with du in the integral.

Why is it important to solve the integral using the substitution method?

The substitution method is important because it allows us to solve integrals that cannot be solved using other methods, such as u-substitution. It also simplifies the integrand and makes it easier to find the antiderivative.

What are common mistakes to avoid when solving the integral of (u)^2 dx using the substitution method?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving the integral of (u)^2 dx using the substitution method are:

• Forgetting to substitute u for the variable in the integrand.
  • Not finding the correct derivative of u, du, with respect to the new variable.
  • Incorrectly replacing dx with du in the integral.
  • Forgetting to include the constant of integration in the final answer.

Can the substitution method be used for all integrals?

No, the substitution method cannot be used for all integrals. It is only applicable when there is a specific function or variable that can be substituted to simplify the integrand. Other integration techniques, such as integration by parts or trigonometric substitutions, may be needed for other types of integrals.