Do cosine, tangent, and cotangent have similar limit identities to sine?

In summary, the limit of sin(x)/x as x approaches 0 is 1, but the limits of cosine, tangent, and cotangent do not have a similar identity limit. The proofs for these limits can be found using l'Hopital's rule or Taylor series. However, there is also a geometric proof for the limit of sin(x)/x that does not rely on these methods.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
i am familiar to the this limit:
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} sin(x)/x=1[/tex]

my question is does cosine,tg and cot have a similar idnetity limit or it's only a special case only in sine function?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{cosx - 1}{x}=0[/tex] perhaps...

Originally posted by Muzza
i would think that the proof to what you have give is from the fact that cos(0)=1 which is simple but the proof to sin(x)/x is a little bit more complex (or at least to proof i read from my book).

Both proofs are the same 'complexity' - l'Hopital's rule in both cases. (or, less slickly, Taylor series, which is the same thing really)

that cos(0)=1 does not imply

lim (cos(x)-1)/x is zero,

or surely it would also imply

lim (cos(x)-1)/x^2

tends to zero, when it doesn't. It would be instructive for you to find the limit.

And the other trig functions are just a ratio of sines, cosines, and/or 1, and can be found from the limits of these.

Originally posted by loop quantum gravity
i would think that the proof to what you have give is from the fact that cos(0)=1 which is simple but the proof to sin(x)/x is a little bit more complex (or at least to proof i read from my book).

Did you miss the x in the denominator?

Originally posted by matt grime
Both proofs are the same 'complexity' - l'Hopital's rule in both cases. (or, less slickly, Taylor series, which is the same thing really)

that cos(0)=1 does not imply

lim (cos(x)-1)/x is zero,

or surely it would also imply

lim (cos(x)-1)/x^2

tends to zero, when it doesn't. It would be instructive for you to find the limit.
it seems you didnt notice i said the proof i read from my book which is more a geometric proof of sin(x)/x than a series proof or by lohiptal's rule and this proof (i think) is more complex than the ways you have listed.

i wish i could give you the proof but the problem is the book is in hebrew and my scanner doesn't work.

I saw that you wrote 'in my book' or similar, but you didn't explain what the proof was in your book, or why you thought that the fact that cos(0)=1 was sufficient to imply the other identity, so I had to guess what you considered to be the method of proof. My proofs of both have exactly the same level of theory and computation behind them.

Explain the idea behind the geometric proof (I can't think of a rigorous one right now).

Edit: and this is the calculus forum isn't it?

Last edited:
To my mind that is a far *simpler* proof than invoking l'Hopital, and might even count as one for 'the book', it's just that the complexity in l'Hopital is hidden. Here we don't even assume sin is differentiable at 0

As for whether one exists for the cosine example, well, you'd have to play around with it.

Proof of (cos x - 1) / x = 0

Muzza said:

The proof of this isn't too difficult. Let's express cos x as a taylor series:
cos x = sum n=0 to inf. x^2n(-1)^n/(2n)! , which is the same as
= 1 + sum n=1 to inf. x^2n(-1)^n/(2n)! thus
cosx - 1 = sum n=1 to inf. x^2n(-1)^n/(2n)! and dividing by x we get
(cos x - 1)/x = sum n=1 to inf. x^(2n-1)(-1)^n/(2n)!, which is defined for all x and also to x = 0 and of course
sum n=1 to inf. 0^(2n-1)(-1)^n/(2n)! = 0

The proof for sin x/x is of the same kind, and not more difficult.

P.S. I've never used this program before and I don't know how to mark signs, but I think you got clear of what I wrote.

matt grime said:
Um . . . In order to use l'Hopital's rule to evaluate [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} sin(x)/x[/itex], you need to take the derivative of sin(x), but if I recall corectly, the usual proof that d sin(x)/dx = cos(x) uses [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} sin(x)/x=1[/itex].

edited to add

Similarly, getting the Taylor series also requires us to take derivatives of sin(x).

Last edited:
There are other ways of determining the limits as the whole of the question and its answers tells us.

It is possible (and easy) to prove dsinx/dx = cosx WITHOUT using limit lim sinx/x=0. A have made a picture to show it (it goes using geometry) but I don't know how to show it here.

Oh yeah, I learned how to attach:) So here is the prove that doesn't use the fact sinx/x-->1 when x--> 0 nor (cosx-1)/x-->0, when x-->0. (if i did the attach properly)

Attachments

• ProveOfDsinx.jpg
    ProveOfDsinx.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 429
Last edited:
You can't just say that the less delta-x is, the closer l is to a straight line. (It is true, but not established.) In order to show that, you need to know sinx/x --> 1.

Edit: I had need not know. Changed to need to know.

Last edited:
ups

Yea, true, I didn't see it. But from the picture above you can see, that
xcosx < sinx < x, which implies, that cosx < sinx/x < 1 and taking limits we see: lim_x-->0 cos x <= lim_x-->0 sinx/x <= 1, hence lim x-->0 sinx/x = 0.

The first inequality xcosx < sinx follows from the fact that the area of the sector OCD (xcosxcosx/2) is smaller than area of the triangle OCB (cosxsinx/2). cosx <> 0. That is xcosxcosx/2 < cosxsinx/2 <=> xcosx < sinx. And sinx < x we get the same way.

Attachments

• sinxdivxe1.jpg
    sinxdivxe1.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 402
vadik said:
Yea, true, I didn't see it. But from the picture above you can see, that
xcosx < sinx < x, which implies, that cosx < sinx/x < 1 and taking limits we see: lim_x-->0 cos x <= lim_x-->0 sinx/x <= 1, hence lim x-->0 sinx/x = 0.

? This shows that lim_x-->0 sinx/x= 1, not 0.

ahh.. yes, my point was to show, that it is 1. Writing 0 was just a mistake . Sorry.

some friends of mine came up with something similar to what all of you are talking about:
lim of tan z(x) / sin n(x) = z/n

the limit is as x approaches 0

Apologies in advance if this is obvious but here are several related results without L'Hospital's Rule or Taylor Series...

(1) [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\cos x -1}{x} = 0.[/tex]

Proof.
Since x is approaching 0 it is safe to assume [itex]-\pi / 2 < x < \pi / 2[/itex]. For x in this interval, cos(x) > 0 and therefore

[tex]\cos x = \sqrt{1-\sin^2 x}[/tex]​

So,

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\cos x -1}{x} = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sqrt{1 - \sin^2 x} -1}{x} = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sqrt{1 - \sin^2 x} -1}{x} \cdot \frac{\sqrt{1-\sin^2 x} + 1}{\sqrt{1-\sin^2 x} + 1}= \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{-\sin^2 x}{x \sqrt{1-\sin^2 x} + 1}[/tex]

[tex]=\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin x}{x} \cdot \frac{-\sin x}{\sqrt{1-\sin^2 x}+1}= (1) \cdot \frac{0}{\sqrt{1-0} + 1} = 0.[/tex]

(2) [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin \alpha x}{x} = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\tan \alpha x}{x} = \alpha[/tex]

Proof.(For sine)
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin \alpha x}{x} = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \left( \frac{\sin \alpha x}{\alpha x} \cdot \frac{\alpha x}{x} \right) = (1)(\alpha) = \alpha.[/tex]

(3) [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin \alpha x}{\sin \beta x} = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\tan \alpha x}{\tan \beta x} = \frac{\alpha}{\beta}[/tex]

Proof.(For sine)
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin \alpha x}{\sin \beta x} = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \left( \frac{\sin \alpha x}{\alpha x} \cdot \frac{\alpha x}{\beta x} \cdot \frac{\beta x}{\sin \beta x} \right) = (1)(\alpha / \beta)(1) = \frac{\alpha}{\beta}[/tex]

--Elucidus

1. What are trigonometric limits?

Trigonometric limits are mathematical expressions that represent the behavior of a trigonometric function as its input approaches a certain value. They are used to analyze the behavior of trigonometric functions at specific points and to determine their values at those points.

2. How do you evaluate trigonometric limits?

To evaluate a trigonometric limit, you can use algebraic manipulation, trigonometric identities, and the properties of limits. You can also use a graphing calculator or table to estimate the limit.

3. What is the difference between a one-sided and two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of a function as its input approaches the limit from one direction, either the left or the right. A two-sided limit considers the behavior of a function from both directions, and the limit exists only if the function approaches the same value from both directions.

4. Can trigonometric limits have infinite or undefined values?

Yes, it is possible for trigonometric limits to have infinite or undefined values. For example, the limit of tan(x) as x approaches pi/2 is undefined, and the limit of cot(x) as x approaches 0 is infinite.

5. How are trigonometric limits used in real-world applications?

Trigonometric limits are used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model and analyze oscillating systems, such as waves and pendulums, and to optimize functions in various industries. They also have applications in navigation and astronomy.