Solving cos^-1 (3/7): Exact Trigonometric Values and Techniques

In summary, The problem is finding the six trigonometric values of cos^-1 (3/7) and the answer book says that cos^-1 (3/7) is saying "the angle whose cosine is 3/7". The angle does not need to be calculated since the sine, cosine, tangent, etc. have set relationships with each other. However, a range for the angle would be helpful in determining the signs of the other trigonometric values.
courtrigrad
Hello all

In my textbook I encountered the following problem:

Find the six trigonometric values of cos^ -1 (3/7). They must be exact. I gather what they mean is that I find arccos (3/7). I tried applying basic identities, but didn't work. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If cos^-1 (3/7) = x, do they allow you to give x a value of more than 360 degrees?

3/7?? I'm going to have to think about that!

in the answer book it says cos (theta) = 3/7

[tex]cos^{-1}(\frac{3}{7})[/tex] is saying "the angle whose cosine is 3/7", so the cosine is already given. You don't need to actually figure out the angle, since the sine, cosine, tangent, etc. all have set relationships between each other.

It would help to have a range for the angle, though, since the sign of the sine, tangent, and cosecant are all going to depend on whether

[tex]cos^{-1}(\frac{3}{7})[/tex] lies between [tex]0[/tex] and [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] or between [tex]0[/tex] and [tex]-\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

1. What is cos^-1 (3/7)?

Cos^-1 (3/7) is the inverse cosine function of 3/7. It is also known as the arccosine of 3/7 and represents the angle whose cosine value is 3/7.

2. How do you solve cos^-1 (3/7)?

To solve cos^-1 (3/7), you can use a calculator or trigonometric tables to find the angle whose cosine value is 3/7. Alternatively, you can use the inverse cosine formula, cos^-1 (x) = cos^-1 (1/x) for numbers between -1 and 1. In this case, cos^-1 (3/7) = cos^-1 (7/3).

3. What are the exact trigonometric values of cos^-1 (3/7)?

The exact trigonometric values of cos^-1 (3/7) are the angle in radians, degrees, and in terms of special trigonometric ratios such as sin, cos, tan, csc, sec, and cot. These values can be found using a calculator or trigonometric tables.

4. Are there any techniques for solving cos^-1 (3/7) without a calculator?

Yes, there are techniques for solving cos^-1 (3/7) without a calculator. These include using the inverse cosine formula, trigonometric identities, and the unit circle. However, these methods may be more time-consuming and require a deeper understanding of trigonometry.

5. How is cos^-1 (3/7) related to other inverse trigonometric functions?

Cos^-1 (3/7) is related to other inverse trigonometric functions as they all represent the angle whose trigonometric ratio is equal to a given number. For example, cos^-1 (3/7) is related to sin^-1 (3/7) as they both represent the angle whose sine value is 3/7.