Triple integral problem - domain is that part of a cube btween 2 plane

In summary: In the xz plane, the domain is a square, 0 <= x <= 1, 0 <= z <= 1. In the yz plane, the upper bound is z = 2 - x - y, and the lower bound is z = 1 - y. In summary, The triple integral for the function y over the given region can be evaluated by first integrating in the x-direction, then in the y-direction, and finally in the z-direction. The upper and lower bounds for the y-direction are given by the planes z = 2 - x - y and z = 1 - y, respectively, and the domain in the xz-plane is a square with sides of length 1.
coodgee

Homework Statement

Evaluate the triple integral for the function [itex]\int\int\int y dV[/itex] over that part of the cube 0 [itex]\leq[/itex] x,y,z [itex]\leq[/itex] 1 lying above the plane y +z = 1 and below the plane x+y+z = 2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the first attempt at a triple integral problem. The method I have been taught is to reduce the integral to a double integral problem by first integrating over the region perpendiculr to some base.

When I try to draw this thing, it seems like it's a half a cube, or a triangular prism, with a little bit cut off one corner. But I can't seem to find a base perpendicular to some dimmension that is bound by two simple functions. it seems that part of the object is bound by x =1, y =1, z = 1 and part by one of the other functions.

I am really lost..

Physics news on Phys.org
coodgee said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the triple integral for the function [itex]\int\int\int y dV[/itex] over that part of the cube 0 [itex]\leq[/itex] x,y,z [itex]\leq[/itex] 1 lying above the plane y +z = 1 and below the plane x+y+z = 2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the first attempt at a triple integral problem. The method I have been taught is to reduce the integral to a double integral problem by first integrating over the region perpendiculr to some base.

When I try to draw this thing, it seems like it's a half a cube, or a triangular prism, with a little bit cut off one corner. But I can't seem to find a base perpendicular to some dimmension that is bound by two simple functions. it seems that part of the object is bound by x =1, y =1, z = 1 and part by one of the other functions.

I am really lost..
The two planes that serve as bounds for the region can be written as z = 1 - y and z = 2 - x - y. The difference, 2 - x - y - (1 - y), represents the vertical distance from the lower plane to the upper plane.

Coodgee, if you want an easier integration domain, try a change of coordinates.

Last edited:
To add to Mark44's comments: The xy domain is the unit square. The problem is that you have two different upper surfaces. Note that x+y+z=2 passes through (1,0,1),(1,1,0), and (0,1,1) which are 3 corners of the cube. Draw that triangle since it the only portion of that plane that is relevant. If you look at the shadow of that triangle on the xy plane you will see a triangular domain, which is half the unit square, for which the upper surface is the slanted plane. On the other half of the unit square, the top of the cube itself is the upper surface. You have to set up two integrals.

[Edit, added later] If you want to do it as a single triple integral, consider integrating in the x direction first. Then the "front" surface is the plane x+y+z=2 and the domain in the yz plane is a triangle.

Last edited:

1. What is a triple integral?

A triple integral is a mathematical concept used in calculus to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional region. It involves integrating a function over a three-dimensional domain, which is typically represented as a solid shape in space.

2. What is the domain in a triple integral problem?

The domain in a triple integral problem refers to the three-dimensional region over which the integral is being calculated. In the case of a cube between two planes, the domain would be the part of the cube that lies between the two specified planes.

3. How is a triple integral different from a regular integral?

A regular integral is used to find the area under a curve in a two-dimensional plane. A triple integral, on the other hand, is used to find the volume of a three-dimensional region in space. It involves integrating a function over a three-dimensional domain instead of just a two-dimensional one.

4. What is the process for solving a triple integral problem?

The process for solving a triple integral problem involves setting up the integral with the correct limits of integration based on the given domain, evaluating the integral using appropriate techniques, and then simplifying the result to get the final answer.

5. What are some real-world applications of triple integrals?

Triple integrals have many real-world applications, such as calculating the volume of a three-dimensional object, finding the mass of a solid with varying density, determining the center of mass of a three-dimensional object, and solving problems in fluid mechanics and electromagnetism.