Triple Integrals - Solve Boundaries of Integration

In summary, we can solve the given integral \int_D z dxdydz using spherical coordinates by converting the given region D into spherical coordinates and setting up the integral with the appropriate limits of integration. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification.
Gramsci

Homework Statement

Integrate
[tex] \int_D z dxdydz [/tex] where D is [tex] z\geq 0, z^2*\geq 2x^2+3y^2-1, x^2+y^2+z^2 \leq 3 [/tex]

Homework Equations

Spherical coordinates? I'm stuck. I have problems finding the boundaries of integration.

The Attempt at a Solution

None. I'd be most grateful for help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, thank you for reaching out for assistance. It seems like this integral can be solved using spherical coordinates. First, let's take a look at the given region D. The inequality z\geq 0 tells us that the region is bounded by the xy-plane (z=0) and extends upwards in the positive z-direction. The second inequality z^2*\geq 2x^2+3y^2-1 can be rewritten as z^2\geq 2x^2+3y^2-1. This represents a cone with its vertex at the origin (0,0,0) and opening upwards in the z-direction. The third inequality x^2+y^2+z^2 \leq 3 represents a sphere with radius \sqrt3 and centered at the origin.

To solve this integral using spherical coordinates, we need to convert the given inequalities into spherical coordinates. The first inequality z\geq 0 remains the same. The second inequality z^2\geq 2x^2+3y^2-1 becomes z^2\geq 2\rho^2\sin^2\phi+3\rho^2\sin^2\phi-1, where \rho is the distance from the origin to the point (x,y,z) and \phi is the angle between the positive z-axis and the line connecting the point (x,y,z) to the origin. Simplifying this, we get z^2\geq 5\rho^2\sin^2\phi-1. This represents a cone with its vertex at the origin and opening upwards in the z-direction.

The third inequality x^2+y^2+z^2 \leq 3 becomes \rho^2\leq 3. This represents a sphere with radius \sqrt3 and centered at the origin.

Now that we have our boundaries in terms of spherical coordinates, we can set up our integral as follows:

\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\int_0^{\sqrt3} z\rho^2\sin\phi d\rho d\phi d\theta

The limits of integration for \theta and \phi come from the first two inequalities, while the limit for \rho comes from the third inequality. The integrand z\rho^2\sin\

Related to Triple Integrals - Solve Boundaries of Integration

1. What is a triple integral?

A triple integral is an extension of a regular integral in calculus that involves solving for the volume of a three-dimensional region. It is represented by three nested integrals, with each one representing the integration over one of the three axes (x, y, and z).

2. How do you determine the boundaries of integration for a triple integral?

The boundaries of integration for a triple integral depend on the shape and orientation of the three-dimensional region being integrated. They can be determined by visualizing the region and breaking it down into smaller, simpler shapes or by using coordinate systems and equations to define the boundaries.

3. What are the different types of triple integrals?

There are two types of triple integrals: Type I and Type II. Type I triple integrals are used for regions defined by two curves and a surface, while Type II triple integrals are used for regions defined by three surfaces.

4. How do you solve a triple integral using the method of cylindrical shells?

To solve a triple integral using the method of cylindrical shells, you first need to convert the given boundaries of integration into cylindrical coordinates. Then, you can use the formula for volume by cylindrical shells to set up the integral and solve for the volume of the region.

5. Can triple integrals be used for applications other than finding volume?

Yes, triple integrals can be used for various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They can be used to calculate mass, center of mass, moments of inertia, and other physical quantities for three-dimensional objects. They can also be used in probability and statistics to find the probability of events in three-dimensional spaces.