Volume of Solid in First Octant: Triple Integration Problem

In summary, the task is to find the volume of the solid in the first octant bounded by the graphs of z=1-y2, y=2x, and x=3. The suggested integral order is z, y, x and the final answer should be 6.
aaronfue

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid in the first octant bounded by the graphs of:
z=1-y2
y=2x
x=3

Homework Equations

I was able to graph all three but I can't picture the region for integration. I'm not sure if I even have to graph it or if I can get my limits without the graph.

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please post an attempt at writing out the integral.

After graphing the equations, I came up with:

[itex]\int^{1}_{-1}[/itex] [itex]\int^{3}_{0}[/itex] [itex]\int^{1}_{0}[/itex] dzdxdy (this order was given as a hint)

My final answer was 6?

No, you need to put the given constraints as bounds in the integrals. The order needed also results from the dependencies in those bounds. The y bounds depend on x, and the z bounds depend on y, and therefore on x too. So the order should be z, y, x.

1. What is triple integration for volume?

Triple integration for volume is a mathematical technique used to find the volume of a three-dimensional solid. It involves integrating a function over a three-dimensional region in order to calculate the volume of that region.

2. When is triple integration for volume used?

Triple integration for volume is used when the shape of a three-dimensional solid is complex and cannot be easily calculated using other methods, such as using basic geometric formulas. It is also used in physics and engineering to find the volume of irregularly shaped objects.

3. How do you set up a triple integral for volume?

To set up a triple integral for volume, you must first identify the limits of integration for each variable, which correspond to the dimensions of the three-dimensional solid. These limits will be used in the integral to define the boundaries of the region being integrated over. Then, you must determine the function to be integrated, which represents the height of the solid at each point within the region.

4. What are some real-world applications of triple integration for volume?

Triple integration for volume has many real-world applications, such as calculating the volume of a water tank, finding the volume of a 3D printed object, or determining the volume of a chemical solution in a container. It is also commonly used in engineering and architecture for designing structures with complex shapes.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges to using triple integration for volume?

One limitation of triple integration for volume is that it can be time-consuming and complex, especially for irregularly shaped solids. It also requires a strong understanding of calculus and mathematical concepts. Additionally, if the function being integrated is not well-defined or contains errors, it can lead to inaccurate results.