Trouble finding the derivative

• Thread starter raul_l
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, a derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of a function and make predictions about its future values. There are several methods for finding the derivative, such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. Common mistakes when finding the derivative include forgetting to apply the chain rule, incorrect application of the product or quotient rule, and forgetting to simplify the final expression. To improve skills in finding derivatives, practice and understanding of underlying principles and rules are essential, and seeking guidance from a teacher or tutor can be beneficial.
raul_l
Hi

I'm having trouble finding the derivative of this function.

[tex] y=x ln (x+\sqrt{1+x^2})-\sqrt{1+x^2} [/tex]

This is what I've tried so far, but I seem to be getting nowhere.

Attachments

• eq.gif
    eq.gif
    17.1 KB · Views: 444
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi raul!
The nasty part of this is, of course the logarithm part, and possibly rearranging the expression you get afterwards.

For starters:
What is the derivative wrt. x of [itex]\sqrt{1+x^{2}}[/itex]?

[tex] -\frac{x}{\sqrt{1+x^2}} [/tex] ?

Why the minus sign??

Right, no minus sign there.. my bad.

However, now I get [tex] \ln(x+\sqrt{1+x^2}) [/tex]
Is this correct?

Attachments

• eq.gif
    eq.gif
    3.6 KB · Views: 473

What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It can also be thought of as the slope of a tangent line to the function at that point.

Why is finding the derivative important?

Finding the derivative is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of a function and make predictions about its future values. It is also essential in many applications of mathematics, such as optimization, physics, and engineering.

What are some methods for finding the derivative?

There are several methods for finding the derivative, including the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. Other techniques such as implicit differentiation and logarithmic differentiation can also be used in certain cases.

What are common mistakes when finding the derivative?

Common mistakes when finding the derivative include forgetting to apply the chain rule, incorrect application of the product or quotient rule, and forgetting to simplify the final expression. It is also important to pay attention to negative signs and remember to include them in the final answer.

How can I improve my skills in finding derivatives?

Practice is key to improving your skills in finding derivatives. Start with simple functions and work your way up to more complex ones. It is also helpful to understand the underlying principles and rules for finding derivatives, rather than just memorizing formulas. Seeking guidance from a teacher or tutor can also be beneficial.