Troubleshooting Integration: Solving \int x cos5x dx

• Thread starter digink
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation is about solving the integral \int x cos5x dx using integration by parts. The person has been able to solve it but is not getting the same answer as the book. They share their work and ask for clarification on why the factor is 1/25 instead of 1/5 in the final answer. They also discuss the correct sign and function for integration. Finally, the correct answer is given as 1/5xsin5x + 1/25cos5x + C.
digink
I've been doing this for a while and I can't get the same answer as the book. I am just going to give the problem first to see if you guys end up where I did, please explain your work.

[tex]\int x cos5x dx[/tex]

I can solve it just fine using integration by parts but I don't get the right answer

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not?It's the only way to do it without getting a headache... :-p

Post your work.

Daniel.

ok

this is what I am doing. I have u=x dv=cos5x du=1 v=1/5 cos 5x (i forgot what the rule is for a cos with something like 5x, just x cos x?)

with that I get
[tex]1/5xsin5x - 1/5\int sin5x dx[/tex]
=[tex]1/5xsin5x - 1/5 cos5x + C[/tex]

btw if it helps any the answer in the back of the book is the same as mine except for the fact that the 1/5 in front of the cos is 1/25

And the sign shoud be a plus too... :wink:

Why is it 1/25 and not 1/5.Better put on what condition would the factor be 1/5.What function would you have to integrate??

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
And the sign shoud be a plus too... :wink:

Why is it 1/25 and not 1/5.Better put on what condition would the factor be 1/5.What function would you have to integrate??

Daniel.
I don't understand what you just said, are you asking a question or trying to answer one? I am :confused: sorry

Sorry if i seemed evasive.Didn't mean it.
Compute this
[tex] \int \sin 5x \ dx [/tex]

It's the last integral u had to compute after taking the partial integration initially.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Sorry if i seemed evasive.Didn't mean it.
Compute this
[tex] \int \sin 5x \ dx [/tex]

It's the last integral u had to compute after taking the partial integration initially.

Daniel.
wouldnt that be 1/5 cos 5x?

ok here it is. The answer should be

1/5xsin5x + 1/25 cos5x + C

First you use: u = x
du = dx
dv = cos5x dx
v = 1/5sinx dx

and now you use the integral by parts:

uv - \int vdu = 1/5xsin5x - \int 1/5sin5xdx

u take the 1/5 (constant out the integral) --> 1/5xsin5x - 1/5 \int sin5xdx

= 1/5xsin5x - 1/5 (-1/5cos5x)
= 1/5xsin5x + 1/25cos5x + C

thre you go!

1/5xsin5x + 1/25cos5x + C

du = dx
dv = cos5x dx
v = 1/5sinx dx

uv - \int \vdu\ = 1/5xsin5x - \int \1/5sin5x \ dx

u take the 1/5 (constant out the integral) --> 1/5xsin5x - 1/5 \int \sin5x \ dx

thre you go!

sorry, I couldn't get the symbols working:

[tex]. . . . . . . . . [/tex].

1/5xsin5x + 1/25cos5x + C

du = dx
dv = cos5x dx
v = 1/5sinx dx

uv - [tex] \int \vdu\ [/tex] = 1/5xsin5x - [tex] \int \1/5sin5x \ dx [/tex]

u take the 1/5 (constant out the integral) --> 1/5xsin5x - [tex]1/5 \int \sin5x \ dx [/tex]

thre you go!

digink said:
wouldnt that be 1/5 cos 5x?

With the minus.Sine integrated is minus cosine.

Daniel.

Related to Troubleshooting Integration: Solving \int x cos5x dx

1. Why am I having trouble solving this integral?

There could be several reasons why you are having difficulty solving this integral. It could be due to a lack of understanding of the fundamental concepts of integration, or you may be missing a key step in your solution. It is also possible that the integral is not solvable using standard integration techniques and may require advanced methods such as substitution or integration by parts.

2. What can I do if I can't solve the integral using traditional methods?

If you are unable to solve the integral using traditional methods, you can try using substitution or integration by parts. You can also consult a calculus textbook or seek help from a tutor or teacher for guidance on how to approach the problem. Additionally, there are many online resources and calculators available that can help with complex integrals.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve integrals?

Yes, there are many online calculators and software programs available that can help solve integrals. However, it is important to note that these tools may not always provide accurate solutions, and it is still crucial to understand the fundamental concepts of integration to verify the results.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving integrals?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving integrals include forgetting to use the chain rule, integrating the wrong function, and forgetting to apply the limits of integration. It is also important to double-check your solutions and simplify them as much as possible.

5. How can I improve my integration skills?

The best way to improve your integration skills is through practice. Make sure to understand the fundamental concepts and techniques thoroughly and practice solving a variety of integrals. You can also seek help from a tutor or teacher, or join a study group to learn from others and discuss different approaches to solving integrals.