True/False question about average velocity

In summary, average velocity is a measure of an object's displacement over a certain period of time, taking into account both distance and direction. It is calculated by dividing the total displacement by the total time taken. Average velocity and average speed are different concepts, with the latter only considering distance traveled. Average velocity can be negative if the object moves opposite the positive direction. Changing direction does not affect the magnitude of average velocity, but it does change the direction.
kitle545
true/false;explain: the average velocity always equals one-half the sum of initial plus final velocities.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's actually the formula for uniform acceleration.

Let's say I drive my car for an hour at 100km/h, then I crash into a wall and instantaneously come to a halt. What was my average velocity during the trip? What is 1/2(Vo+Vf)?

Related to True/False question about average velocity

1. What is average velocity?

Average velocity is a measure of the displacement of an object over a certain period of time. It takes into account both the distance traveled and the direction of motion.

2. How is average velocity calculated?

Average velocity is calculated by dividing the total displacement of an object by the total time taken to travel that distance. The formula is: average velocity = displacement / time.

3. Is average velocity the same as average speed?

No, average velocity and average speed are two different concepts. Average speed only takes into account the total distance traveled, while average velocity considers the displacement and direction of motion.

4. Can average velocity be negative?

Yes, average velocity can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction. This indicates that the object is moving in a negative direction.

5. How does changing direction affect average velocity?

Changing direction does not affect the magnitude of average velocity, but it does affect the direction. For example, if an object travels at a constant speed in a straight line and then changes direction, the average velocity will still be the same, but the direction will change.