Trying to solve a rather difficult differential equation

In summary, Chet provided the solution for the homework statement. He rotated the image to make it easier to read, and pasted it into a word processor.
RYANDTRAVERS

Homework Statement

Consider a system composed of two species X and Y with fractional populations x and y, respectively, where x+y=1. The two species interact in such a way that the differential equation for x is:

\begin{equation}
\frac{dx}{dt}=xyA_{0}e^{-\alpha t}
\end{equation}

where $A_{0}$ and $\alpha$ are non-negative constants. Solve the equation by separation of variables and hence show that the solution for x(0) = $x_{0}$ is:

Photo attached- too long to write out!

2. The attempt at a solution

Again... attached. The problem that I am having is that I can't make x the subject of the equation because I end up with x/(x-1) on the left hand side.

Attachments

• IMG_2611.JPG
    IMG_2611.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 404
  • IMG_2612.JPG
    IMG_2612.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you saying that you don't know how to solve that final algebraic equation for x?

RYANDTRAVERS said:

Homework Statement

Consider a system composed of two species X and Y with fractional populations x and y, respectively, where x+y=1. The two species interact in such a way that the differential equation for x is:

\begin{equation}
\frac{dx}{dt}=xyA_{0}e^{-\alpha t}
\end{equation}

where $A_{0}$ and $\alpha$ are non-negative constants. Solve the equation by separation of variables and hence show that the solution for x(0) = $x_{0}$ is:

Photo attached- too long to write out!

2. The attempt at a solution

Again... attached. The problem that I am having is that I can't make x the subject of the equation because I end up with x/(x-1) on the left hand side.
Those sideways images are very difficult to read.

I did use the 'Windows' snipping tool to show the solution you are to verify, then pasted it into a word processor app. & rotated it.
Capture4.PNG

Chet's got the rest.

Don't worry, I was a little tired last night doing a 5 hour practice paper. I've got it now... silly me.

Good.

To make x the subject either of the following forms might have helped.

##\displaystyle\ \frac{x}{x-1}=\frac{1}{1-1/x}=1+\frac{1}{x-1}\ ##

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model many natural phenomena and is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

2. Why are some differential equations considered difficult to solve?

Some differential equations are difficult to solve because they cannot be solved using algebraic methods. They require advanced mathematical techniques such as integration, differentiation, and series expansions.

3. What are some common methods for solving difficult differential equations?

Some common methods for solving difficult differential equations include separation of variables, power series, Laplace transforms, and numerical methods such as Euler's method and the Runge-Kutta method.

4. How can I know if my solution to a differential equation is correct?

You can check the validity of your solution by substituting it back into the original differential equation and verifying that it satisfies the equation. You can also compare your solution to known solutions or use software to graph the solution and compare it to the original equation.

5. Are there any tips for solving difficult differential equations?

Some tips for solving difficult differential equations include starting with simpler cases, breaking the equation into smaller parts, and using a variety of methods to solve different parts of the equation. It is also important to practice and become familiar with the different techniques for solving differential equations.