1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying to solve a rather difficult differential equation

1. Apr 9, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a system composed of two species X and Y with fractional populations x and y, respectively, where x+y=1. The two species interact in such a way that the differential equation for x is:

\begin{equation}
    \frac{dx}{dt}=xyA_{0}e^{-\alpha t}
    \end{equation}

where $A_{0}$ and $\alpha$ are non-negative constants. Solve the equation by separation of variables and hence show that the solution for x(0) = $x_{0}$ is:

Photo attached- too long to write out!

2. The attempt at a solution

Again... attached. The problem that I am having is that I can't make x the subject of the equation because I end up with x/(x-1) on the left hand side.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2015 #2
    Are you saying that you don't know how to solve that final algebraic equation for x?

4. Apr 9, 2015 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Those sideways images are very difficult to read.

I did use the 'Windows' snipping tool to show the solution you are to verify, then pasted it into a word processor app. & rotated it. Capture4.PNG
    Chet's got the rest.

5. Apr 10, 2015 #4
    Don't worry, I was a little tired last night doing a 5 hour practice paper. I've got it now... silly me.

6. Apr 10, 2015 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good.

To make x the subject either of the following forms might have helped.

##\displaystyle\ \frac{x}{x-1}=\frac{1}{1-1/x}=1+\frac{1}{x-1}\ ##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted