Tunneling equation have all the pieces, just can't figure out the calculation

In summary, the conversation is about a person trying to calculate an answer using the tunneling equation, but getting incorrect results. They ask for clarification and someone suggests using the hyperbolic sine function instead of Planck's constant. The person confirms that this was their issue and thanks the other person for their help.
j2dabizo
Tunneling equation...have all the pieces, just can't figure out the calculation!

Hi,
I have an example from my book on Tunneling. All the parts of the equation are given, including the answer...put I keep comming up with the inccorect answer.

Maybe someone can clarify how to calculate the correct answer?

Here is the equation given:

T=[ 1 + (V02 sinh2(kL)) / 4E(V0-E)]-1

Hope that is readable..sorry, I tried to paste and copy the equation from a bunch of sites and it just wouldn't copy. If anyone can paste the equation that would be helpful, thanks.

Given V0= 10eV
h= plank constant (4.1359E-15 ev*s)
kL= 9.2
E= 5eV

so...the book states:

T= [1+ (10eV)2 sinh2(9.2) / 4(5eV)(5eV)]-1
= 4.1 x 10-8

How did they get this answer...everytime i do i I get an answer of 100!

Help please. thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

j2dabizo said:
Hi,
I have an example from my book on Tunneling. All the parts of the equation are given, including the answer...put I keep comming up with the inccorect answer.

Maybe someone can clarify how to calculate the correct answer?

Here is the equation given:

T=[ 1 + (V02 sinh2(kL)) / 4E(V0-E)]-1

Hope that is readable..sorry, I tried to paste and copy the equation from a bunch of sites and it just wouldn't copy. If anyone can paste the equation that would be helpful, thanks.

Given V0= 10eV
h= plank constant (4.1359E-15 ev*s)
kL= 9.2
E= 5eV

so...the book states:

T= [1+ (10eV)2 sinh2(9.2) / 4(5eV)(5eV)]-1
= 4.1 x 10-8

How did they get this answer...everytime i do i I get an answer of 100!

Help please. thanks.

There shouldn't be any need to use Planck's constant in that equation ... perhaps you are not aware that sinh is a single mathematical function called the hyperbolic sine (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbolic_function)? It should be available on your calculator, but if not, you can use the following identity to calculate it:

[tex]2sinh(x)=e^x - e^{-x}[/tex]

Hope that helps.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpectraCat said:
There shouldn't be any need to use Planck's constant in that equation ... perhaps you are not aware that sinh is a single mathematical function called the hyperbolic sine (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbolic_function)? It should be available on your calculator, but if not, you can use the following identity to calculate it:

[tex]2sinh(x)=e^x - e^{-x}[/tex]

Hope that helps.

Hope that helps.

this was my issue..thanks! Too many constants! lol

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the Tunneling Equation?

The Tunneling Equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the probability of a particle passing through a potential barrier, even though it does not have enough energy to overcome the barrier. It is commonly used in quantum mechanics and has applications in fields such as nanotechnology.

2. What are the components of the Tunneling Equation?

The Tunneling Equation is composed of three main components: the energy of the particle, the height and width of the potential barrier, and the mass of the particle. These components are used to calculate the probability of tunneling.

3. How is the Tunneling Equation derived?

The Tunneling Equation is derived from the Schrödinger wave equation, which describes the behavior of quantum particles. It takes into account the wave-like nature of particles and their interactions with potential barriers.

4. Can the Tunneling Equation be used for any type of particle?

Yes, the Tunneling Equation can be used for any type of particle, as long as it follows the laws of quantum mechanics. This includes particles such as electrons, protons, and even larger particles like atoms.

5. Is the Tunneling Equation accurate?

The Tunneling Equation is a well-established and widely used formula in quantum mechanics. It has been tested and verified through experiments and is considered to be a highly accurate representation of particle tunneling behavior.