What determines the speed of two balls on a rotating disk?

In summary, the conversation explains the concept of angular velocity and its relationship to linear velocity, as well as how it applies to a scenario involving two girls holding a ball and releasing it to hit a wall. It is important to consider the difference between angular and linear velocity, and how the arc length traveled by a rotating object affects its speed.
november1992

Homework Statement

24q1tee.png

Homework Equations

I=m[itex]r^{2}[/itex]
L=ωI
ω=[itex]\frac{L}{I}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that since the moment of inertia was larger for the ball on the outside its angular speed would be slower. So then it would take longer to hit the wall.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're missing something important in this question which is the difference between angular velocity (rad/s) and linear velocity (m/s). You don't need to be using angular momentum/moment of inertia.

Using ω is right while the girls are holding the ball, but when it is let go when it hits the wall depends on v, which is related to ω by some geometric considerations. If you notice, the two girls are sitting in a straight line with each other, one further out than the other, and they are always in that straight line, meaning that the girl further out has to travel further than the girl on the inside in the same amount of time. What can you figure from that?

I was thinking about that before, but I thought it would be strange if the ball on the outside traveled faster than the ball on the inside. So, I assumed they were traveling at the same speed.

Their ω is no doubt equal, they're both going through the same amount of radians as the other in the same time.

The problem is with arc lengths though--which is equal to θr (make sure θ is in radians). The girl on the outside moves further in the same amount of time, so the ball is actually moving faster.

Physics gets weird when things start rotating.

Your reasoning is correct. The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. The farther away an object is from the axis of rotation, the greater its moment of inertia. Therefore, the ball on the outside of the rotating disk will have a larger moment of inertia and will rotate at a slower angular speed compared to the ball on the inside. This means that it will take longer for the ball on the outside to make a full rotation and hit the wall. This can be explained by the equation ω=\frac{L}{I}, where ω is the angular speed, L is the angular momentum, and I is the moment of inertia. Since the ball on the outside has a larger moment of inertia, its angular speed will be smaller for a given angular momentum.

1. What is the physics behind two balls on a rotating disk?

The physics behind two balls on a rotating disk is quite complex and involves various principles such as centripetal force, angular velocity, and conservation of energy. The balls experience a centripetal force towards the center of the disk, causing them to move in a circular path. The speed of the balls is determined by the angular velocity of the disk, and the energy of the system is conserved as the balls move around the disk.

2. How do the balls stay on the rotating disk without falling off?

The balls stay on the rotating disk due to the centripetal force acting on them. This force is directed towards the center of the disk, keeping the balls in circular motion and preventing them from flying off the disk. The faster the disk rotates, the greater the centripetal force needed to keep the balls on the disk.

3. What happens to the motion of the balls when the rotating disk is tilted?

When the rotating disk is tilted, the direction of the centripetal force acting on the balls changes. This causes the balls to move in an elliptical or tilted circular path. The speed of the balls also changes, depending on the tilt angle of the disk and the position of the balls on the disk.

4. Can the balls on a rotating disk ever move in a straight line?

No, the balls on a rotating disk can never move in a straight line as long as the disk is rotating. This is because there will always be a centripetal force acting on the balls, causing them to move in a curved path. However, if the rotation of the disk stops, the balls will move in a straight line due to inertia.

5. How does the mass and size of the balls affect their motion on a rotating disk?

The mass and size of the balls do not affect their motion on a rotating disk as long as the centripetal force acting on them remains the same. However, the mass and size of the balls will affect the amount of centripetal force needed to keep them on the disk. Heavier and larger balls will require a greater centripetal force to stay on the disk compared to lighter and smaller balls.