Two blocks and a pulley, friction

In summary, the problem involves two masses connected by a string over a frictionless pulley. One mass is hanging vertically and the other is sliding on a horizontal surface with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.2. The masses are 4.0 kg and 6.0 kg respectively. The provided equations are T=mBg-mBa and a = (mBg)/(mA + mB). The issue is not knowing how to factor in friction. The question asks for the acceleration of the mass.
nbaumann

Homework Statement

Two masses are connected by a string which passes over a frictionless, massless pulley. One mass hangs vertically and one slides on a horizontal surface. The horizontal surface has a coefficient of kinetic friction 0.2. The vertically hanging mass is 4.0 kg and the mass on the horizontal surface is 6.0 kg. Find the acceleration of the mass.

Homework Equations

T=mBg-mBa

The Attempt at a Solution

I've basically done this problem without factoring friction, and this my problem, I don't know how to factor friction.

a = (mBg)/(mA + mB) is what I used.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
nbaumann said:

Homework Statement

Two masses are connected by a string which passes over a frictionless, massless pulley. One mass hangs vertically and one slides on a horizontal surface. The horizontal surface has a coefficient of kinetic friction 0.2. The vertically hanging mass is 4.0 kg and the mass on the horizontal surface is 6.0 kg. Find the acceleration of the mass.

Homework Equations

T=mBg-mBa

The Attempt at a Solution

I've basically done this problem without factoring friction, and this my problem, I don't know how to factor friction.

a = (mBg)/(mA + mB) is what I used.

Thanks!
Welcome to Physics Forums,

You should look again at the tension in the string, is that the only condition that the tension needs to satisfy? What about the other block?

Thanks for your reply.

This was really as far as I got. Wouldn't the tension just apply once? As there is only one string?

1. What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or cable that runs through the groove. It is used to change the direction of a force, making it easier to lift or move heavy objects.

2. How does a pulley reduce friction?

A pulley reduces friction by spreading the load over a larger area. The rope or cable that runs through the pulley's groove reduces the amount of direct contact between the two blocks, reducing the friction between them.

3. What is the role of friction in a two block and pulley system?

Friction plays a crucial role in a two block and pulley system. It helps to keep the blocks and pulley in place and prevents them from slipping. It also helps to transfer the force applied to the rope or cable to the blocks, allowing them to move.

4. How can the friction in a two block and pulley system be reduced?

The friction in a two block and pulley system can be reduced by using a lubricant, such as oil or grease, on the pulley's groove. This will help to reduce the direct contact between the rope or cable and the pulley, reducing friction.

5. What factors affect the amount of friction in a two block and pulley system?

Several factors can affect the amount of friction in a two block and pulley system. These include the roughness of the surfaces in contact, the weight and size of the blocks, and the tension in the rope or cable. Additionally, the type of material used for the blocks and pulley can also affect the amount of friction.