What is the other axis in molecule XeF4's D4h character table?

In summary, the conversation is about a square planar molecule, XeF4, and its placement of Xe atom and F atoms. The speaker is also discussing the D4h group and its two C4 axes, but is unsure of the location of the second axis. They then clarify their question about the number "2" in the D4h character table.
vatlychatran
Hi all, I consider a square planar molecule such as XeF4, Xe atom is at the center, F atoms are at the corners of a square. In the character table of D4h group that XeF4 belongs to, I see that there are two C4 axes but I only can find one that goes through the Xe atom and is perpendicular to the XeF4 plane. Could you tell me the other axis? Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
I should change my question. Could you explain for me the number "2" in "2C4(z)" of the D4h character table (first row, third column in the attached figure)? Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• D4h.jpg
    D4h.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 9,968

Related to What is the other axis in molecule XeF4's D4h character table?

1. What is the molecular geometry of XeF4?

The molecular geometry of XeF4 is square planar.

2. How many atoms are in a molecule of XeF4?

There are five atoms in a molecule of XeF4: one xenon atom and four fluorine atoms.

3. What is the hybridization of the central atom in XeF4?

The central atom in XeF4, xenon, has sp3d2 hybridization.

4. Is XeF4 a polar or nonpolar molecule?

XeF4 is a nonpolar molecule due to its symmetrical square planar shape and the fact that the dipole moments of the polar bonds cancel each other out.

5. What are the bond angles in XeF4?

The bond angles in XeF4 are 90 degrees between the axial fluorine atoms and 180 degrees between the equatorial fluorine atoms.