Two dimensional motion problem.

In summary, the conversation revolves around solving a projectile motion problem involving a baseball hit at 45m/s and an angle of 45 degrees above the horizontal. The participants discuss the equations for projectile motion and determine the time and range of the projectile using the initial velocities and gravitational constant. The conversation ends with positive feedback on the solution.
TheSilence

Homework Statement

A baseball was hit at 45m/s at an angle of 45 degrees above the horizontal.
How long did it remain in the air? How far did it travel horizontally?

Hi everyone, I am i stuck :cry: on this problem any hints (formulas) to help me solve this problem would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Today seems to be the projectile motion day. :smile:

Anyway, which are the equations for projectile motion? Start with finding the equations for the x and y displacement of the baseball.

So I need to find the time and range of the projectile.
[tex]V_0x[/tex]= 45m/s cos(45)
[tex]V_0y[/tex]=45m/s sin(45)

and Range is: [tex]R = 2{V_0x}{V_oy}/{g}[/tex]
Time is: [tex]t = {2V_0y}/{g}[/tex]

:confused: am I wrong?

TheSilence said:
So I need to find the time and range of the projectile.
[tex]V_0x[/tex]= 45m/s cos(45)
[tex]V_0y[/tex]=45m/s sin(45)

and Range is: [tex]R = 2{V_0x}{V_oy}/{g}[/tex]
Time is: [tex]t = {2V_0y}/{g}[/tex]

:confused: am I wrong?

Good work, you're right. :wink:

Thanks radou :approve: !

FAQ: Two dimensional motion problem.

What is two dimensional motion?

Two dimensional motion refers to the movement of an object in two perpendicular directions, typically represented by the x and y axes. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of an object's displacement.

What are the key principles of two dimensional motion?

The key principles of two dimensional motion include displacement, velocity, acceleration, and projectile motion. These principles describe how an object moves in two dimensions and can be used to predict its future motion.

What is the difference between distance and displacement in two dimensional motion?

Distance refers to the total length of the path an object has traveled, while displacement refers to the straight line distance between an object's starting and ending points. In two dimensional motion, displacement takes into account both the horizontal and vertical components of an object's movement, while distance does not.

How is velocity calculated in two dimensional motion?

Velocity in two dimensional motion is calculated by dividing an object's displacement in each direction by the time it took to travel that distance. This results in a vector quantity with both magnitude and direction.

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is a type of two dimensional motion in which an object is launched into the air at an angle and follows a curved path, influenced by both its initial velocity and the force of gravity. This type of motion is commonly seen in sports like basketball and in everyday activities like throwing a ball.