Calculating Bright Fringes in Reflected Light from Two Flat Plates at an Angle

In summary, the problem involves two optically flat glass plates separated by a wire of diameter 0.250 mm, creating an air gap with a thickness ranging from 0 to 0.250 mm. The plates are 15.0 cm long and illuminated with light of wavelength 550.0 nm. The question asks for the number of bright fringes seen in the reflected light. To solve this, we use the equation t=m(lambda) and take into account the two phase changes and the distance traveled by the ray. Another approach is to find the distance between bright fringes, which can be calculated by setting up the equation 2t=(1+1/2)(550nm). Finally, we can solve for the number
JSapit

Homework Statement

Two optically flat plates of glass are separated at one end by a wire of diameter 0.250 mm; at the other end they touch. Thus, the air gap between the plates has a thickness ranging from 0 to 0.250 mm. The plates are 15.0 cm long and are illuminated from above with light of wavelength 550.0 nm. How many bright fringes are seen in the reflected light?

Homework Equations

t=m(lambda)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that there is two phase changes, so with this apparatus, there has to be a (1/2) added to create constructive interference. I also know that the ray has to travel through the thickness once, and then again, so the distance would be 2t. I tried solving for t via the equation 2t=(m+1/2)(lambda) and solving for t. That gives me the distance, but I'm not sure what to do from there. Am I on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sure it can be done that way, and it will be a beautiful piece of work, but wouldn't it be easier just to find the distance between bright fringes? That is, how much width is needed to change 2t by one wavelength?

So you mean just set up the equation as 2t=(1+1/2)(550nm)

Like that?

Since that give me the distance, how would I solve for just the bright fringes?

The thickness must CHANGE by 550 nm as you go from crest to crest.
Have to have a formula relating change in t and change in x.
wedge.jpg

I figured it out. Thanks for your help!

1. What is the purpose of two flat plates at an angle?

The purpose of two flat plates at an angle is to create a narrow gap between them, allowing for controlled airflow and the generation of lift. This is commonly used in the design of airplane wings and other aerodynamic structures.

2. How do the angles of the plates affect the airflow?

The angles of the plates play a crucial role in determining the direction and speed of the airflow between them. A smaller angle will create a faster airflow, while a larger angle will result in a slower and more turbulent airflow.

3. What is the difference between a positive and negative angle between the plates?

A positive angle, also known as a dihedral angle, refers to when the plates are angled upwards, with the leading edge higher than the trailing edge. This creates a stable and efficient lift. In contrast, a negative angle, or anhedral angle, means the plates are angled downwards, resulting in a less stable and less efficient lift.

4. Can two flat plates at an angle be used for anything other than generating lift?

Yes, two flat plates at an angle can also be used for other purposes such as controlling the direction of airflow or for heat transfer. The angle and distance between the plates can be adjusted to achieve different results depending on the desired outcome.

5. What factors should be considered when determining the optimal angle for two flat plates?

The optimal angle for two flat plates will vary depending on the specific application and design goals. Some key factors to consider include the speed and direction of airflow, desired lift or drag, and the overall aerodynamic design of the structure. Computer simulations and wind tunnel testing can also help determine the most optimal angle for a given situation.