Two Hockey Puck Collision: Calculating Speed After Impact

In summary, two hockey pucks of equal mass collide on a hockey rink, with one at rest and the other moving at a speed of 5.4m/s. After the collision, the pucks have velocities making angles of 33 and 46 degrees relative to the initial velocity of the moving puck. The final speeds of the pucks are 3m/s and 4m/s. The conservation of momentum is used to determine the final velocities, taking into account that momentum is a vector quantity. The final momentum must be equal to and in the same direction as the initial momentum. This can be visualized as a triangle, with the two final momentum vectors as two sides and the initial momentum vector as the third side.
Morhas

Homework Statement

Two hockey puck of equal mass undergo a collision on a hockey rink. One puck is initiall at rest while the other is moving with a speed of 5.4m/s. After the collision, the velocities of the pucks make angles of 33 and 46 (degrees) relative to the initial velocity of the moving puck. Determine the speed of each puck after the collision.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We have tried several failed approaches. The correct answer is 3m/s and 4m/s. What is confusing us is that the momentum should be conserved. So the sum of the two final momentums should be that of the initial momentum. Thanks in advance,

Physics news on Phys.org
Bump. Can anyone explain this? My friend and I have a test tommorow and we still don't see how this is possible. Thanks.

Morhas said:
Bump. Can anyone explain this? My friend and I have a test tommorow and we still don't see how this is possible. Thanks.
It is conserved. momentum is a vector quantity. The initial momentum is to the right. The final momentum, the vector sum of the 2 pucks after the collison, must be equal to and in the same direction as the initial momentum.

Ahhh I see. So What I've done is drawn the two vectors as two sides in a triangle, with the third side being the initial momentum vector. Then I solved with sin law. Thanks for the post!

Related to Two Hockey Puck Collision: Calculating Speed After Impact

What is a two hockey puck collision?

A two hockey puck collision is when two hockey pucks collide with each other. This can happen during a game, practice, or any other situation where hockey pucks are in motion.

How is speed calculated after a two hockey puck collision?

The speed after a two hockey puck collision can be calculated by using the conservation of momentum equation: m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2', where m1 and m2 are the masses of the pucks, v1 and v2 are the initial velocities, and v1' and v2' are the final velocities.

What factors affect the speed after a two hockey puck collision?

The speed after a two hockey puck collision can be affected by the masses and initial velocities of the pucks, as well as the coefficient of restitution, which measures the elasticity of the collision between the pucks.

Why is it important to calculate the speed after a two hockey puck collision?

Calculating the speed after a two hockey puck collision is important because it allows us to understand the physics behind the collision and can help coaches and players make adjustments to improve performance and prevent injuries.

Are there any real-life applications for understanding two hockey puck collisions?

Yes, understanding two hockey puck collisions can have real-life applications in the design and testing of sports equipment, such as hockey pucks and sticks. It can also be applied in other fields, such as car crashes or industrial accidents, where understanding the physics of collisions is crucial.