1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two integral problems including e and sin

1. Sep 6, 2011 #1
    1. ∫ 6e^(-y/4) dy

2. ∫ [ sin(pi x) - (3/x) ] dx

Any help with either of these would be great. I'm teaching myself integrals for Physics C and i have absolutely no clue what to do with these.

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

For the first one: factor ou the 6 and find a suitable substitution to bring the integral back to

[tex]\int{e^ydy}[/tex]

4. Sep 7, 2011 #3
    For the second one you can separate it in to two integrals, sin(pi x) dx and -3/x dx

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  5. Sep 7, 2011 #4
    Thanks, I figured out the first one.

But am still confused with this one. So far i have :

-1/4 ∫ cos(pi x) - 3Ln| x|

These were actually both definite integrals I was supposed to evaluate..so when I evaluated -1/4 ∫ cos(pi x) - 3Ln| x| from 10 to 2 I was within 6 tenths of the right answer. Is the answer sheet wrong or what did i do wrong?

Also, this may be a silly question but am I supposed to use pi as in 3.14 or 180

6. Sep 7, 2011 #5
    How did you get -1/4 ∫cos(pi x) ?

x is probably in radians, so you'll use 3.14 instead of 180 for degrees.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  7. Sep 7, 2011 #6
    I think I just wrote -1/4 instead of -1/pi by accident. But I got help from a teacher so it's all good now.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook