Two integral problems including e and sin

In summary, for the first integral, factoring out the 6 and finding a suitable substitution will bring the integral back to ∫e^y dy. For the second integral, separating it into two integrals, sin(pi x) dx and -3/x dx, will make it easier to evaluate. Remember to use pi as 3.14 for radians, not 180 for degrees.
adimi24
1. ∫ 6e^(-y/4) dy

2. ∫ [ sin(pi x) - (3/x) ] dx

Any help with either of these would be great. I'm teaching myself integrals for Physics C and i have absolutely no clue what to do with these.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first one: factor ou the 6 and find a suitable substitution to bring the integral back to

[tex]\int{e^ydy}[/tex]

For the second one you can separate it into two integrals, sin(pi x) dx and -3/x dx

Last edited:
micromass said:
For the first one: factor ou the 6 and find a suitable substitution to bring the integral back to

[tex]\int{e^ydy}[/tex]

Thanks, I figured out the first one.

JHamm said:
For the second one you can separate it into two integrals, sin(pi x) dx and -3/x dx

But am still confused with this one. So far i have :

-1/4 ∫ cos(pi x) - 3Ln| x|

These were actually both definite integrals I was supposed to evaluate..so when I evaluated -1/4 ∫ cos(pi x) - 3Ln| x| from 10 to 2 I was within 6 tenths of the right answer. Is the answer sheet wrong or what did i do wrong?

Also, this may be a silly question but am I supposed to use pi as in 3.14 or 180

adimi24 said:
But am still confused with this one. So far i have :

-1/4 ∫ cos(pi x) - 3Ln| x|

Also, this may be a silly question but am I supposed to use pi as in 3.14 or 180

How did you get -1/4 ∫cos(pi x) ?

x is probably in radians, so you'll use 3.14 instead of 180 for degrees.

Last edited:
Bohrok said:
How did you get -1/4 ∫cos(pi x) ?

x is probably in radians, so you'll use 3.14 instead of 180 for degrees.

I think I just wrote -1/4 instead of -1/pi by accident. But I got help from a teacher so it's all good now.

Thanks for the help everyone.

1. What are the two integral problems that involve e and sin?

The two integral problems that involve e and sin are: ∫e^x*sin(x)dx and ∫e^x*sin^2(x)dx.

2. What is the general form of the solution to these integral problems?

The general form of the solution to these integral problems is: ∫e^x*sin(x)dx = -1/2e^x(cos(x) - sin(x)) + C and ∫e^x*sin^2(x)dx = -1/4e^x(cos(2x) - 2sin(2x)) + C.

3. How can these integral problems be solved?

These integral problems can be solved using integration by parts. The first integral can be solved by setting u = sin(x) and dv = e^x, while the second integral can be solved by setting u = sin^2(x) and dv = e^x.

4. Are there any specific techniques or patterns that can be used to solve these integral problems?

Yes, for the first integral, the pattern to follow is ∫e^x*sin(x)dx = -e^x*cos(x) + ∫e^x*cos(x)dx, and for the second integral, the technique to use is trigonometric identities to simplify the integrand.

5. What applications do these integral problems have in real life?

These integral problems have various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. For example, they can be used to model electrical circuits and analyze alternating currents, as well as to solve problems involving oscillatory motion and resonance.