Two masses attached to spring w/ pulley

In summary, the problem involves two blocks, one with a mass of 1.7 kg and the other with a mass of 2M, connected to a spring with a spring constant of 180 N/m. The blocks are released from rest with the spring relaxed and the horizontal surface and pulley are frictionless. The questions ask for the combined kinetic energy of the two blocks after one has fallen a distance of 0.090 m, the kinetic energy of the hanging block when it has fallen that distance, and the maximum distance the hanging block falls before momentarily stopping. The equations used are KEi + PEi = KEf + PEf and Fs = kx, and the values of the masses and spring constant are given.
peachfuzz

Homework Statement

Two blocks, of masses M = 1.7 kg and 2M are connected to a spring of spring constant k = 180 N/m that has one end fixed, as shown in the figure below. The horizontal surface and the pulley are frictionless, and the pulley has negligible mass. The blocks are released from rest with the spring relaxed.

http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/1376/stupidness.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

(a) What is the combined kinetic energy of the two blocks when the hanging block has fallen a distance of 0.090 m?

(b) What is the kinetic energy of the hanging block when it has fallen that 0.090 m?

(c) What maximum distance does the hanging block fall before momentarily stopping?

Homework Equations

KEi + PEi = KEf + PEf

Fs = kx

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to use the two masses as one system, and also have tried to separate them into two different systems. Neither way seems to be working for me, and I am just thoroughly confused. I would really like to believe that I only need a push in the correct direction.

Thanks for any help offered! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should first determine if the speeds and distance traveled by each block are the same. Then using your conservation of energy equation, applied to the system, should give you the answer. Be sure to consider both gravitational and spring potential energies associated with spring-block system. Please show the values you are using in your equation.

1. How does the spring affect the motion of the two masses?

The spring provides a restoring force that pulls the two masses towards each other, causing them to oscillate back and forth.

2. What is the role of the pulley in this system?

The pulley changes the direction of the force exerted by the spring, allowing the two masses to move in opposite directions.

3. What factors affect the frequency of the oscillations?

The frequency of the oscillations is affected by the spring constant, mass of the masses, and the length of the spring.

4. How does the amplitude of the oscillations change with time?

The amplitude of the oscillations decreases over time due to the damping effect of air resistance and friction.

5. How can this system be used in real-world applications?

This system can be used to model and study the behavior of various mechanical systems such as car suspensions, pendulums, and shock absorbers.