Two masses connect by a rope over unequal slopes

The forces acting on each mass will be different, but the equations will be similar]In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving two masses attached by a rope on a slope with unequal angles. The person is unsure how to solve the problem and needs help with finding the sum of all forces in the x and y direction. They mention that the only possible forces are tension and weight components. There is also a discussion about friction and the need to find the friction needed to keep the system at rest. The conversation ends with a suggestion to draw diagrams and use intuition to solve the problem.
savva
Hey Guys,

I'm stuck with two particular problems that relates to two masses attached by a rope on a slope with unequal angles and I'm unsure how to go about the problem, I have never accounted a problem such as these before and I'm stuck with how to go about it. I have taken two photos of the questions as they include a diagram!

Thanks in advanced.

Homework Statement

Q.9 and Q.19 are those I am referring to in the attachments.

Homework Equations

I believe looking at all the forces affecting the diagram, Tension, Gravity, Weight components, ultimately to my understanding ƩF=0 for the block to remain at rest, that is the forces balance. I am a bit confused on how to set out some of the forces as most problems I have encounted similar to this have a 90 degree angle where the block on the left is.

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not have answers to these two questions as they are not provided with the textbook

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 435
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 462
Physics news on Phys.org
For each mass try writing sum of all forces in x and y direction. [and show us how you wrote them]

Without going into calculations my intuition tells me the system will move to the left. [if there is no friction, can you tell what is the friction needed to keep the system at rest?]

estro said:
For each mass try writing sum of all forces in x and y direction. [and show us how you wrote them]

Without going into calculations my intuition tells me the system will move to the left. [if there is no friction, can you tell what is the friction needed to keep the system at rest?]

I don't know, I'm confused, I know the only possible forces that can act is tension and weight components but I don't know how to set it out. Here is an attempt anyway

F1=F2

F1:
x: mgcosθ
y: T-mgsinθ

F2:
x: T-mgcosθ
y: T-mgsinθ

1. Draw the system with all the forces, you don't need x and y as for both the masses all the relevant forces are in 1 dimension, choose the direction parallel to the slope. [in the other dimension sum of all forces are 0...]
2. Don't forget the Newton laws.
3. You will have 2 equations with two unknowns, do you know what they are?

Let your intuition help you.
Hint: What can you tell about a? [[itex]\sum F=ma[/itex]]

Another hint, for each mass draw its own diagram and choose the coordinate system parallel to the slope.

Last edited:

1. What is the concept of "Two masses connect by a rope over unequal slopes"?

The concept involves two masses that are connected by a rope and are placed on different slopes. The rope serves as a medium through which the masses can interact and move.

2. How does the difference in slopes affect the movement of the masses?

The unequal slopes will create a difference in the gravitational force acting on each mass, causing them to move in opposite directions. The steeper slope will have a greater gravitational force, causing the mass on that slope to move faster.

3. What determines the acceleration of the masses?

The acceleration of the masses is determined by the difference in slopes and the masses themselves. The steeper slope will have a greater acceleration due to the stronger gravitational force acting on the mass.

4. Can the masses reach an equilibrium point?

Yes, the masses can reach an equilibrium point where the gravitational forces are balanced and the masses are no longer accelerating. This point will depend on the difference in slopes and the masses involved.

5. How does the length and tension of the rope affect the movement of the masses?

The length and tension of the rope will affect the movement of the masses by determining the strength of the force being transmitted between them. A longer and more tense rope will transfer a stronger force, causing the masses to accelerate more quickly.