Building a Two Omni Wheel Robot: Questions & Answers

In summary, the first robot can still move in the y- and the x-directions, and won't slide when I push it in the y-direction, but the second robot has different wheel arrangements and won't be able to move in the same way.
harpoon
Hello! I have a somewhat complicated robot project that I've simplified here to hopefully get a quick answer. I want to build a robot with two omni-wheels that looks like the following (not drawn to scale), where the black is the omni wheels at 45 degree angles and the blue is the robot body:

1622041569917.png

A couple of questions, assuming the robot (let's call it the first robot) can balance and the body doesn't touch the ground:
1. Can the robot still move in the y- and the x-direction?
2. Assuming the floor is rough and the omni wheel rollers are rubber, will the robot slide if I push the robot body in the y-direction?

Now, for this robot (let's call it the second robot, also not drawn to scale), the arrangement of the omni wheels looks like this:
1622041817707.png

I have the same questions:
2. Assuming the floor is rough and the omni wheel rollers are rubber, will the robot slide if I push the robot body in the y-direction?

In my mind, the robot can still move in the x- and y-directions and won't slide when I push it in the y-direction, but I wasn't 100% sure and wanted to confirm my intuition here. Thank you in advance! Please let me know if I need to clarify anything, and I apologize if this post is confusing.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

If the robot has only two wheels, like a Segway, then I don't think it can use Omni Wheels since it has one degree too much directional freedom.

With the motors stopped, it could be pushed to move in a circle about a centre of rotation.

Ah, good point, didn't think about that. Thanks! What about something like this?

First robot:
1622043539438.png

Second robot:
1622043571629.png

Same questions:

harpoon said:
Do you mean when pushed or when powered?

The Omni wheel has rollers at 90° to the axle, while
the Mecanum wheel has rollers at 45° to the axle.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omni_wheel
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mecanum_wheel

It takes a minimum of three Omni/Mecanum wheels to control directional movement and orientation.

If you want to make an Omni Segway hybrid, your new type 1 could do it.
If you want a stable platform then your new type 2 could do that.
But you should first consider the 3 wheel solutions;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiwi_drive
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killough_platform

Baluncore said:
Do you mean when pushed or when powered?
Oops, I guess I should have clarified! I meant when powered. Good to know that it works. The nature of my project requires that I use four omni wheels.

Thank you so much for the help!

1. How do I choose the right materials for building a two omni wheel robot?

When selecting materials for your two omni wheel robot, it is important to consider the weight, durability, and compatibility with your chosen motors and sensors. Materials such as aluminum, acrylic, and 3D printed plastic are commonly used for robot frames, while rubber or silicone can be used for wheels. It is also important to choose materials that are easily accessible and within your budget.

2. What type of motors should I use for my two omni wheel robot?

The type of motors you use will depend on the size and weight of your robot, as well as the desired speed and torque. Generally, DC motors or stepper motors are suitable for omni wheels, as they allow for precise control and movement. It is important to choose motors with enough power to move your robot and its payload, but not so much that it becomes difficult to control.

3. How do I program my two omni wheel robot?

Programming a two omni wheel robot can be done using a variety of languages such as C++, Python, or Arduino. It is important to have a good understanding of the robot's hardware and sensors, as well as the programming language you choose. You can also use pre-made libraries or code snippets to help with specific functions, such as controlling the motors or reading sensor data.

4. Can I add additional features to my two omni wheel robot?

Yes, you can add additional features to your two omni wheel robot, such as sensors for obstacle avoidance or a camera for vision-based navigation. However, it is important to consider the weight and power requirements of these additional features, as they may affect the overall performance and control of your robot.

5. How can I troubleshoot issues with my two omni wheel robot?

If you encounter issues with your two omni wheel robot, the first step is to check all connections, wiring, and code for any errors. You can also use a multimeter to test the voltage and current of your motors and sensors. If the issue persists, it may be helpful to consult online forums or seek assistance from other robot enthusiasts who may have encountered similar problems.