1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two Physics problems (angular velocity/acc) and Force by a stopper

1. Apr 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1) The horizontal slot guide C moves downward at a constant velocity of 4.00 in/sec. Crank OP (radius rOP) is pinned at O and point P slides freely in horizontal slot guide. At the instant shown determine:
    a) θ’ (The angular velocity of OP)
    b) θ’’ (The angular acceleration of OP)
    θ = 50.0º rOP = 8.00 in

Image Number2.png

2) Collar C (weight w) is free to slide on the vertical steel rod (diameter d; length L). The collar is released from rest at a height of h above stopper A at the end of the rod. Determine the maximum force experienced by the rod.
    w = 5.00 lbs d = 1/8 in
    L = 2.00 ft h = 18.0 in
    ESTEEL = 29000 ksi;

Image number3.png

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't even know where to start. My professor didn't put up the equation sheet and I didn't understand it when he did it in lecture earlier today. If someone could patiently help me through this I would appreciate it.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2012 #2
    Well I tried the fist one a bit and got:

(all taken from starting with y = 8cos(theta)
    Angular velocity equal to -.6527 and angular acceleration to be -.35747.

The second one I believe I need a formula for, and have no idea.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook