Two Physics problems (angular velocity/acc) and Force by a stopper

In summary, the first conversation involves determining the angular velocity and acceleration of Crank OP, which is pinned at point O and slides in a horizontal slot guide. The second conversation pertains to finding the maximum force experienced by a vertical steel rod with a sliding collar attached to it, given certain values for weight, diameter, length, and height. The student is struggling with understanding the equations involved and is seeking help to solve the problems.
Kalookakoo

Homework Statement

1) The horizontal slot guide C moves downward at a constant velocity of 4.00 in/sec. Crank OP (radius rOP) is pinned at O and point P slides freely in horizontal slot guide. At the instant shown determine:
a) θ’ (The angular velocity of OP)
b) θ’’ (The angular acceleration of OP)
θ = 50.0º rOP = 8.00 in

Number2.png

2) Collar C (weight w) is free to slide on the vertical steel rod (diameter d; length L). The collar is released from rest at a height of h above stopper A at the end of the rod. Determine the maximum force experienced by the rod.
w = 5.00 lbs d = 1/8 in
L = 2.00 ft h = 18.0 in
ESTEEL = 29000 ksi;

number3.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to start. My professor didn't put up the equation sheet and I didn't understand it when he did it in lecture earlier today. If someone could patiently help me through this I would appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well I tried the fist one a bit and got:

(all taken from starting with y = 8cos(theta)
Angular velocity equal to -.6527 and angular acceleration to be -.35747.

The second one I believe I need a formula for, and have no idea.

1. What is angular velocity and how is it calculated?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object rotates or moves around a fixed axis. It is calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time.

2. What is angular acceleration and how does it relate to angular velocity?

Angular acceleration is the rate at which an object's angular velocity changes. It is directly proportional to the net torque acting on an object and inversely proportional to the object's moment of inertia.

3. How do you solve for the force exerted by a stopper in a rotational motion problem?

To solve for the force exerted by a stopper, you can use the formula F = mω^2r, where m is the mass of the object, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the radius of rotation. This formula is derived from the equation for centripetal force in circular motion.

4. What is the difference between angular velocity and linear velocity?

Angular velocity measures the rotational speed of an object around an axis, while linear velocity measures the speed of an object in a straight line. Angular velocity has units of radians per second, while linear velocity has units of meters per second.

5. How does torque play a role in rotational motion problems?

Torque is the rotational equivalent of force and is responsible for causing angular acceleration in an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance between the force and the axis of rotation. In rotational motion problems, torque is used to determine the angular acceleration and ultimately the angular velocity of an object.