How Do You Solve Tension and Acceleration in a Two-Pulley System?

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of tension in a rope connecting two blocks with different accelerations. The attempt at a solution involves breaking down the problem into two free body diagrams and using equations to solve for the acceleration and tension. However, there is a flaw in the logic or algebra that needs to be pointed out in order to find the final unknown variable, u.
astronomerc

Homework Statement

Two blocks are connected by a rope that passes around two pulleys as indicated in the figure. (Attached)

a. Determine the tension in the rope.
b. Determine the acceleration of each block (Hint: The two blocks do not have the same acceleration).

The Attempt at a Solution

I call m1 the left mass and m2 the right.
I think the Tension is the same for the whole rope.
My m1 free body has normal up (+y) weight down, kinetic friction left, Tension right (+x)
My m2 free body is 2T up (-y) and weight down.
I think a1=2a2

For m1x Fx=max
T-f=m1a
T=2ma2+um1g

For m2:
m2g-2T=m2a2
T=(m2g-m2a2)/2

I put my two equations together to eliminate T
4m1a2+2um1g=m2g-m2a2

I solved for a2
a2=(m2g-2um1g)/(4m1+m2)

I plugged what I had for a2 into the original to solve for u:

I ended up with m2g-2um1g-m2g=2um1g
everything cancels to -u=u

Can someone please point out my flaw, be it in my algebra or my logic?

Attachments

• TwoPulleys.doc
    40.5 KB · Views: 507
Physics news on Phys.org
astronomerc said:
I solved for a2
a2=(m2g-2um1g)/(4m1+m2)
Everything up to here looks fine.

I plugged what I had for a2 into the original to solve for u:

I ended up with m2g-2um1g-m2g=2um1g
But I don't understand what you are trying to do here. I presume u is given, just like the two masses.

You found a2, now find a1 and T.

u is not given. The problem in it's entirety is posted... I am struggling to find u, but think I can do the rest from there.

I thought about assuming u was zero, but that doesn't seem right either.

astronomerc said:
u is not given. The problem in it's entirety is posted... I am struggling to find u, but think I can do the rest from there.

I thought about assuming u was zero, but that doesn't seem right either.
It sounds like you are just assuming that there's friction. I see no mention of it in the problem statement that you gave.

In general, unless the problem explicitly mentions friction, assume that all surfaces are frictionless. (If not, there's not enough information to solve the problem.)

Related to How Do You Solve Tension and Acceleration in a Two-Pulley System?

What is the concept of "Two Pulleys, Two Masses"?

The concept of "Two Pulleys, Two Masses" involves a system where two masses are connected by a string or cable that runs over two pulleys. The motion of one mass causes the other mass to move in the opposite direction due to the tension in the string.

How does the mass of the pulleys affect the system?

The mass of the pulleys does not affect the system as long as the pulleys are assumed to be massless. In reality, the mass of the pulleys may have a small effect on the system, but it is usually negligible compared to the mass of the masses.

What happens to the system if one of the masses is greater than the other?

If one of the masses is greater than the other, the system will experience an unbalanced force and will accelerate in the direction of the larger mass. The magnitude of the acceleration will be determined by the difference in mass and the net force acting on the system.

How does the distance between the pulleys affect the system?

The distance between the pulleys does not have a significant effect on the system as long as the string remains taut. However, if the distance between the pulleys is too small, the string may become slack and the system will not function properly.

Can the system be used to calculate the masses or forces acting on the system?

Yes, the system can be used to calculate the masses or forces acting on the system by applying Newton's laws of motion and using the equations of motion for constant acceleration. However, this assumes that the system is ideal and there are no external forces acting on the system.