Two source circuit thevenin and norton

In summary: In this circuit, the current source is 2mA and the Thevenin resistance is 7924 ohms. With the assumption that both current sources are independent, the short-circuit current may be calculated by connecting the terminals on the far right with a zero-resistance wire and calculating the current through it. After doing the above, note that no current flows through the 15k Ohm resistor, so we may simply remove it, and that all the current from the 2mA source will flow through the short-circuit wire. Now all that remains is to find the current from the 3mA source flowing through the shorted terminals.To do this, I use node-voltage analysis and assign
Fys
Can someone help me detemine The thevenin Voltage, the thevenin resistance and the Norton current of this circuit
I can't solve it cause it has two current sources
I have uploaded the picture

Thank you

Attachments

• Thevenin.bmp
    291.9 KB · Views: 569
Engineering news on Phys.org
what is thevenin voltage and norton current. explain to me the rules

Well, it does look like I would have to assume that both current sources are independent. With this assumption, I zero all the sources and I'll be left with the Thevenin resistance of 7924 ohms. The short-circuit current may be calculated by simply connecting the terminals on the far right with a zero-resistance wire and calculating the current through it. After doing the above, note that no current flows through the 15k Ohm resistor, so we may simply remove it, and that all the current from the 2mA source will flow through the short-circuit wire. Now all that remains is to find the current from the 3mA source flowing through the shorted terminals.

To do this, I use node-voltage analysis and assign node V1 to the top left hand corner of the circuit. After constructing the equations and solving for V1, which I got 12.14V. Using this value, I found that the current through the 6.8k Ohm reistor is 1/560 A. The short-circuit current may then be calculated by adding 2mA to 1/560 A, which gives 0.00379 A. The Thevenin voltage may be then be easily calculated. The Norton current is simply the shortcircuit current.

I'm not sure if I'm entirely correct. So could anyone double-check the above answers?

Thevenin and Norton equivalent circuits are electrically equivalent circuits whereby complex circuits may be redrawn so that they consist of only a voltage source and a resistance in series (thevenin) or a current source and resistance in parallel. By electrically equivalent I mean that replacing part of a circuit with its Thevenin or Norton equivalent will not change anything (eg. current, voltage measurements) in the circuit external to the Thevenin or Norton part of the circuit.

1. What is the purpose of a two source circuit Thevenin and Norton analysis?

The purpose of a two source circuit Thevenin and Norton analysis is to simplify a complex circuit into a simpler equivalent circuit that can be used for analysis and design. This allows for easier understanding of the circuit's behavior and can save time and effort in calculations.

2. How is Thevenin and Norton equivalent circuit different from the original circuit?

The Thevenin and Norton equivalent circuit is different from the original circuit in that it consists of a single voltage source and a single resistor, whereas the original circuit may have multiple sources and resistors. However, the equivalent circuit has the same voltage-current relationship as the original circuit at the load terminals, making it easier to analyze.

3. What are the steps to find the Thevenin equivalent circuit?

The steps to find the Thevenin equivalent circuit are as follows:
1. Disconnect all the loads from the original circuit.
2. Calculate the open-circuit voltage by removing the load and finding the voltage across the open terminals.
3. Calculate the Thevenin resistance by short-circuiting all the voltage sources and finding the equivalent resistance across the open terminals.
4. Draw the Thevenin equivalent circuit with the calculated voltage source and resistance.

4. Can Thevenin and Norton equivalent circuits be used for AC circuits?

Yes, Thevenin and Norton equivalent circuits can be used for both DC and AC circuits. However, the calculations for finding the equivalent voltage and resistance may be different for AC circuits due to the presence of reactive components.

5. How can Thevenin and Norton equivalent circuits be used for circuit analysis?

Thevenin and Norton equivalent circuits can be used for circuit analysis by replacing the complicated original circuit with a simpler equivalent circuit. This allows for easier calculation of voltage, current, and power at the load terminals. The equivalent circuit can also be used to determine the maximum power that can be delivered to a load from the original circuit.