1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two stacked blocks, push using one block, static friction between blocks

1. Sep 30, 2008 #1
    Newtonian mechanics problem with blocks

Problem:

[tex]m_{1}[/tex] and [tex]m_{2}[/tex] each interact with [tex]m_{3}[/tex] via static friction, with the same [tex]\mu_{s}[/tex]. The horizontal surface below [tex]m_{3}[/tex] is frictionless. An external force [tex]F_{ext}[/tex] acts on [tex]m_{1}[/tex] from the left and the entire system of three connected masses moves to the right (and obviously accelerates). The idea is to provide a suitable magnitude of [tex]F_{ext}[/tex] as to prevent both [tex]m_{1}[/tex] and [tex]m_{2}[/tex] from moving with respect to [tex]m_{3}[/tex] during the acceleration, i.e. we don’t want [tex]m_{1}[/tex] to slide down along, nor [tex]m_{2}[/tex] to slide “back” along [tex]m_{3}[/tex]. To make life easy, we let [tex]m_{1}[/tex], [tex]m_{2}[/tex] and [tex]m_{3}[/tex] all have the same mass [tex]m[/tex].

a) Find in terms of relevant parameters, the possible range of [tex]F_{ext}[/tex] which will allow the desired motion to take place.
    b) It might be that, if [tex]\mu_{s}[/tex] is less than some critical value [tex]\mu_{s(critical)}[/tex], no value of [tex]F_{ext}[/tex] will allow the desired motion. Give a simple argument why this might be true, and if so, determine [tex]\mu_{s(critical)}[/tex] in terms of relevant parameters.

Relevant equations:

[tex]\sum F = ma[/tex]

Here is my attempt at the problem:

Part A:
    For [tex]m_{2}[/tex]:
    [tex]N_{2} = m_{2}g[/tex]
    [tex]F_{fr2} = m_{2}a[/tex]
    [tex]\mu_{s}m_{2}g = m_{2}a[/tex]
    [tex]\mu_{s}g = a[/tex]
    [tex]\mu_{s} = \frac{a}{g}[/tex]

For [tex]m_{1}[/tex]:
    [tex]F_{ext} - N_{1} = m_{1}a[/tex]
    [tex]N_{1} = F_{ext} - m_{1}a[/tex]
    [tex]F_{fr1} = m_{1}g[/tex]
    [tex]\mu_{s} (F_{ext} - m_{1}a) = m_{1}g[/tex]

For [tex]m_{3}[/tex]:
    [tex]N_{3} - F_{fr1} - N_{2} = m_{3}g[/tex]
    [tex]N_{1} - F_{fr2} = m_{2}a[/tex]

Substitute in for [tex]N_{1}[/tex] and [tex]F_{fr2}[/tex]:
    [tex]N_{1} - \mu_{s}m_{2}g = m_{2}a[/tex]
    [tex]F_{ext} - m_{1}a - \mu_{s}m_{2}g = m_{2}a[/tex]
    [tex]F_{ext} = m_{3}a + m_{1}a + \mu_{s}m_{2}g[/tex]

Since [tex]\mu_{s}m_{2}g = m_{2}a[/tex]:
    [tex]F_{ext} = m_{3}a + m_{1}a + m_{2}a[/tex]

Since [tex]m_{1} = m_{2} = m_{3} = m[/tex]:
    [tex]F_{ext} = 3ma[/tex]

Part B:
    My guess is that if [tex]\mu_{s}[/tex] is infinitely small so that friction is negligible, any magnitude of force applied on the blocks would cause block 1 to slide down and block 2 to slide backwards relative to block 3.

I don't know where to start with the parameters, but here is what I have so far:
    [tex]\mu_{s(critical)} < \mu_{s}[/tex]
    [tex]F_{fr(critical)} < F_{ext} < F_{fr}[/tex]

Any help would be highly appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted