Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Two tank mixing problem *simple DE* yet im having a hard time.

1. Apr 11, 2010 #1
    nm i got it figured out.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2010 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

I think you have set up the equations and matrix correctly. Now find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors as you said, and this will give you the time dependence of the two eigenvectors ( call them a'(t) and b'(t) ), which are linear combinations of a(t) and b(t). Then you can solve for a(t) and b(t) in terms of a'(t) and b'(t), and since you know the time dependence of a'(t) and b'(t), you will have the time dependence of a and b. Does this make sense?

4. Apr 11, 2010 #3
    Unfortunately phyzguy at this point it does not.

I have solved the eigen/values/vectors and put them in "general form". So i think using these initial conditions for A(0)=75 and B(0)= 0 i will have solved for a'(t) and b'(t).. Is this correct?

<<<is terrible at math and needs a lot of repetition to understand what is going on.

Thanks for your help so far though phyzguy, it seems like i am kind of on the right track.

5. Apr 11, 2010 #4

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Show me what you found for the eigenvalues and eigenvectors and for the time dependence of the eigenvectors.

6. Apr 11, 2010 #5
    pm sent

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook