Two tank mixing problem *simple DE* yet im having a hard time.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the time dependence of two eigenvectors, a'(t) and b'(t), in terms of a(t) and b(t). The speaker has solved for the eigenvalues and put them in general form, and with initial conditions A(0)=75 and B(0)=0, they will be able to solve for a'(t) and b'(t). However, the other person in the conversation is struggling with understanding and needs more repetition.
hornady
nm i got it figured out.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have set up the equations and matrix correctly. Now find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors as you said, and this will give you the time dependence of the two eigenvectors ( call them a'(t) and b'(t) ), which are linear combinations of a(t) and b(t). Then you can solve for a(t) and b(t) in terms of a'(t) and b'(t), and since you know the time dependence of a'(t) and b'(t), you will have the time dependence of a and b. Does this make sense?

Unfortunately phyzguy at this point it does not.

I have solved the eigen/values/vectors and put them in "general form". So i think using these initial conditions for A(0)=75 and B(0)= 0 i will have solved for a'(t) and b'(t).. Is this correct?

<<<is terrible at math and needs a lot of repetition to understand what is going on.

Thanks for your help so far though phyzguy, it seems like i am kind of on the right track.

Show me what you found for the eigenvalues and eigenvectors and for the time dependence of the eigenvectors.

pm sent

Related to Two tank mixing problem *simple DE* yet im having a hard time.

1. What is the "two tank mixing problem"?

The two tank mixing problem is a type of differential equation (DE) problem that involves two tanks of different volumes being connected by a pipe. The goal is to determine the rate at which the liquids in the tanks mix and the final concentrations of the liquids.

2. How do you solve a simple DE for the two tank mixing problem?

To solve a simple DE for the two tank mixing problem, you can use the concentration-time equation and the initial conditions of the problem. You will also need to use the concept of mass balance to determine the rate of change of concentration in the tanks.

3. What are some common challenges in solving the two tank mixing problem?

Some common challenges in solving the two tank mixing problem include determining the appropriate initial conditions, understanding the concept of mass balance, and finding the appropriate concentration-time equation for the given problem.

4. Can the two tank mixing problem be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, the two tank mixing problem can be applied to real-world situations such as chemical reactions, water treatment processes, and mixing of different liquids in industrial processes.

5. Are there any variations of the two tank mixing problem?

Yes, there are variations of the two tank mixing problem such as including a third tank, changing the shape of the tanks, or considering the effects of temperature on the mixing process. These variations may require different DE equations and approaches to solve.