Understanding Ohm's Law: E/E & U (Voltage) Explained

In summary: This just means that the potential difference across the inductor is not "generated" by the circuit but instead is an "input" value (analogous to a battery).In summary, the use of different letters, such as e, E, V, U, to represent potential difference in Ohm's law is a personal choice made by the author. However, regardless of the chosen letter, all electric potentials are treated the same in analysis. In the case of generators and receivers, U represents the line potential, e represents the back-emf in the windings, and E represents the potential across the generator's windings. The naming convention is used to help keep track of what the values represent in the real world. Additionally, the
Mohamad&Issa
In ohm's law for a receiver or generator I couldn't understood the difference between e/E and U(voltage).
So please can anybody help me in this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mohamad&Issa said:
In ohm's law for a receiver or generator I couldn't understood the difference between e/E and U(voltage).
So please can anybody help me in this?

Hi M&I. The use of e, E, V, U, etc., to represent potential difference is a choice made by the author of a diagram or document. Sometimes the choice is personal preference or local convention, or sometimes it's just to avoid duplication if a given variable is already in use for something else.

No matter what variable name is used, all electric potential differences are treated the same way for analysis (Ohm's law, Kirchhoff's law, etc.).

Do you have a particular example where the naming is causing confusion?

In ohm's law for a generator:
U=E-r.I
U voltage
E electro motive force
r resistance
I current

And ohm's law for a receiver
U=e+r.I
e back electro motive force

Mohamad&Issa said:
In ohm's law for a generator:
U=E-r.I
U voltage
E electro motive force
r resistance
I current

And ohm's law for a receiver
U=e+r.I
e back electro motive force

The U,E, and e are representing different potentials in a generator/motor situation. It seems that the author has decided to use U for the "line" potential, e for the back-emf created in the motor's windings (inductance), and E for the potential developed across a generator's windings. The naming convention is designed to help you keep track of what the values represent "in the real world".

attachment.php?attachmentid=53860&stc=1&d=1355328795.gif

The figures in your text might show the inductor potentials as dependent voltage supplies.

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    3.4 KB · Views: 921

Sure, I would be happy to explain the difference between e/E and U (voltage) in Ohm's Law.

First, let's define Ohm's Law. It is a fundamental principle in physics that describes the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in an electrical circuit. It states that the current (I) flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage (V) and inversely proportional to the resistance (R), expressed mathematically as I = V/R.

Now, let's break down the different variables in this equation. The lowercase letter "e" is often used to represent the electromotive force (EMF) or the voltage of a source, such as a battery or generator. It is the force that drives the flow of electric charge through a circuit. On the other hand, the uppercase letter "E" represents the total voltage in a circuit, which includes both the EMF and the voltage drops across any resistors in the circuit. So, while e represents the voltage of a specific source, E represents the overall voltage in the entire circuit.

The letter "U" is often used to represent the voltage drop across a specific component in a circuit. In other words, it is the difference in voltage between two points in the circuit. This can be thought of as the amount of energy lost as the electric charge flows through a resistor. In a simple circuit with only one resistor, the voltage drop (U) would be equal to the voltage (V) of the source, but in more complex circuits with multiple resistors, the voltage drop will be different at different points in the circuit.

To summarize, e/E represents the voltage of a specific source or the total voltage in a circuit, while U represents the voltage drop across a specific component in the circuit. I hope this explanation helps clarify the difference between these variables in Ohm's Law.

Related to Understanding Ohm's Law: E/E & U (Voltage) Explained

1. What is Ohm's Law?

Ohm's Law is a fundamental principle in electrical engineering that describes the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit. It states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance.

2. What is the formula for Ohm's Law?

The formula for Ohm's Law is V = IR, where V represents voltage in volts, I represents current in amperes, and R represents resistance in ohms.

3. How do you apply Ohm's Law to a circuit?

To apply Ohm's Law to a circuit, you need to know the values of voltage, current, and resistance. You can then use the formula V = IR to calculate any one of these values if the other two are known.

4. What is the difference between E/E and U (voltage) in Ohm's Law?

E/E refers to the electromotive force, which is the total energy supplied by a source, while U (voltage) refers to the potential difference across a circuit component. In simpler terms, E/E is the total voltage in a circuit, while U is the voltage across a specific component.

5. How can understanding Ohm's Law be useful?

Understanding Ohm's Law is essential for designing and analyzing electrical circuits. It allows you to predict the behavior of a circuit and determine the optimal values for components such as resistors and capacitors. Additionally, it is necessary for troubleshooting and diagnosing issues in a circuit.