Understanding Output and Input Resistance of an Op Amp in a Lab Setting

• Thread starter slashrulez
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Amp Op amp
In summary, the conversation discusses a lab involving a circuit with an op-amp. The lab requires measuring the output and input resistance of the amplifier using a variable resistor. The question poses a difficulty in understanding how the experimental procedure relates to the internal resistances of the op-amp. The solution involves treating the system as a voltage divider and using that to determine the resistance values.
slashrulez

Homework Statement

The problem is within a lab, so I guess I need to give some background first. Pretty much, I'm starting with the circuit shown here.

[URL]http://imgup.com/image-EC69_4D91309A.jpg[/URL]

For the part of the lab I'm interested in, the values of R1 and Rf were put as 1 kohms and 10 kohms respectively. The lab then asks to measure the output resistance of the amplifier, by putting a variable resistor (starting at 100 kohms) across Vo. Then it says to reduce the resistance until my output voltage reduces to half of the value at 100 kohm. This happens at 5 ohms, which is reasonable I suppose, since it should be zero ideally. Then I'm asked to measure the input resistance. I get rid of the variable resistor, and instead put it in series with R1 (starting at 0 ohms), that is, before the Vin node on the diagram. Then I'm supposed to set Vin = 5V, and increase the resistance until Vin is half the original value. This happens when the variable resistor is around 1 kohms.

Now, that's the set-up. The actual question that's giving me difficulty is:

4.) Indicate how the measurements of 2.5 and 2.6 determine Ro and Rin. In particular, explain why Rin should equal 1 kohm.

The question is basically asking me how the experimental procedure actually equates to the internal resistances of the op amp, and how I can predict the input resistance.

Homework Equations

Nothing special I would imagine.

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly don't have much. The lab I'm in doesn't fit very well with my lecture, and we haven't even covered op amps yet. I've done some reading on them, but everything about non-ideal op amp impedances says the exact same thing more or less, and I'm having a hard time applying it to my problem.

Well, I guess the first thing I did was assume that the op-amp in the question could be treated like this, since it's a pretty simple course.

[URL]http://imgup.com/image-6A91_4D9134BB.jpg[/URL]

Looking at the first question and that figure, I applied a resistance to make Vout go to half its original value, so I would need to show how that R equals the R in the model. My only stab at a solution is to treat the system as a voltage divider. For the voltage to be cut in half, the two resistances in the divider (op-amp output and variable) would need to equal each other, so the entire resistor part reduces to 1/2. I have no idea if that's correct or not, but staring at it long enough, it's the only reasonable way I see to end up with anything being halved.

I'm guessing I would need a similar approach to the second question as with the first, treating it as a voltage division. I guess I could use that to show that my measured Rin actually represents Rin, but then I'm not sure how to actually figure out what the resistance is from that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This might break a record for speed or something, but I figured it out on my own. Reading over my own question made the answer pretty simple, so this can be ignored/locked/deleted.

What is an OP Amp and what is its function?

An OP Amp, or Operational Amplifier, is an electronic circuit component that amplifies the voltage difference between its input terminals. It is commonly used in electronic devices to amplify and process signals.

How does an OP Amp work?

An OP Amp works by using a high-gain differential amplifier to amplify the voltage difference between its two input terminals. The output voltage is then fed back to the input through a feedback loop, which allows the OP Amp to adjust its output to maintain a specific voltage level.

What are the key characteristics of an OP Amp?

The key characteristics of an OP Amp include its gain, input and output impedance, bandwidth, and slew rate. The gain is the amount by which the input voltage is amplified. The input and output impedance determine how much current can flow in and out of the OP Amp. The bandwidth is the range of frequencies that the OP Amp can handle, and the slew rate is the maximum rate at which the output voltage can change.

What are the common applications of an OP Amp?

OP Amps have a wide range of applications, including audio amplification, signal conditioning, filters, voltage regulators, and instrumentation amplifiers. They are also used in mathematical and scientific calculations, such as in analog computers and control systems.

What are the different types of OP Amps?

There are several types of OP Amps, including general-purpose, high-speed, low-noise, and precision OP Amps. Other types include instrumentation, video, and current-feedback OP Amps. Each type has its own unique characteristics and is designed for specific applications.