Understanding RC Circuits: Derivative Equations for Voltage and Current

In summary, the individual component voltages and currents can be found using the KCL equations for the circuit. However, finding the step response of the whole circuit will depend on the specific input and output of the system. Further analysis and calculations are needed to fully determine the step response.
widmont
Hello,

I have a question about RC circuit. Given this circuit

---R2---
---- R1---C1--| |----
----C2--

which is a resistor followed by a capacitor followed by a resistor in parallel with a capacitor.

I have trouble finding the derivative equation for the charging/decharging voltage and the corresponding current for the whole circuit. My goal is to have a derivative equation i can solve for each time step with a software I will create (this is not homework).

I am a programmer and I forgot my basics on electric circuits.

Help is very much appreciated

A.

Physics news on Phys.org
widmont said:
Hello,

I have a question about RC circuit. Given this circuit

---R2---
---- R1---C1--| |----
----C2--

which is a resistor followed by a capacitor followed by a resistor in parallel with a capacitor.

I have trouble finding the derivative equation for the charging/decharging voltage and the corresponding current for the whole circuit. My goal is to have a derivative equation i can solve for each time step with a software I will create (this is not homework).

I am a programmer and I forgot my basics on electric circuits.

Help is very much appreciated

A.

Welcome to the PF.

It's a little hard to tell what the circuit is from the drawing so far. Is it a series RC in parallel with an R and a C?

How is the circuit driven? The drive circuit and its output impedance may need to be part of the solution.

In general, you would write the KCL equations for the circuit, using the differential equation relating voltage and current for the capacitor. Solving those equations would give you the characteristic equation for the circuit.

Thank you for your answer

the circuit is as following:

120px-Burgers_model.svg.png

the kcl are as follows:

Utot=Un2+U(e1,n1)+Ue2
Itot=In2=Ie1 + In1=Ie2

the problem I am having is to find U(e1,n1), Un2, In1 and In2 relations because both capacitors affect the other and then I am always missing a variable.

Thanks.

A.

widmont said:
Thank you for your answer

the circuit is as following:

120px-Burgers_model.svg.png

the kcl are as follows:

Utot=Un2+U(e1,n1)+Ue2
Itot=In2=Ie1 + In1=Ie2

the problem I am having is to find U(e1,n1), Un2, In1 and In2 relations because both capacitors affect the other and then I am always missing a variable.

Thanks.

A.

Those are not the KCL equations. And you need to show a driving source in order to have a full circuit.

thanks for your reply,

I will post the full circuit with a source... but now I am confused, I had my last physics/electricity course 8 years ago and I thought kcl stands for kirchhoff circuit law which state that all incoming current should leave a node... therefore Itot=In2=Ie1 + In1=Ie2

I am kind of lost now

A.

widmont said:
thanks for your reply,

I will post the full circuit with a source... but now I am confused, I had my last physics/electricity course 8 years ago and I thought kcl stands for kirchhoff circuit law which state that all incoming current should leave a node... therefore Itot=In2=Ie1 + In1=Ie2

I am kind of lost now

A.

That is the idea of the KCL, but that equation does not match the idea. The KCL for the left node in your drawing would be:

i(C2) + i(C1) + i(R1) = 0 (with appropriate signs on each term)

The current for C2 would be flowing to the left, and the current for C1 and R1 would be flowing to the right. You would write each current in terms of the voltage across each component. For the caps, you need to use the differential equation that relates current and voltage.

Here is the circuit:
[URL]http://people.ucalgary.ca/~widmera/circuit.jpg[/URL]

If I follow your advice, I should find the current and volage for every component
the circuit has a source of 5V

when charging:

C1 is the capacitor after the switch
R1 is the resistor after C1
R2 is the resistor in parallel
C2 is the capacitor in parallel

at the middle node between both resistor the KCL would look like this

I(R1)-I(R2)-I(C2)=0

where
I(R1)=I(C1)=v/R1+C1*dv(t)/dt
I(R2)=(v-v(R1)-v(C1))/R2
I(C2)=C2*d(v-v(R1)-v(C1))/dt

Am I going somewhere with this?
What should I do if I would like to know the step response of the whole circuit?

Thank you for your help

Last edited by a moderator:
widmont said:
Here is the circuit:
[URL]http://people.ucalgary.ca/~widmera/circuit.jpg[/URL]

If I follow your advice, I should find the current and volage for every component
the circuit has a source of 5V

when charging:

C1 is the capacitor after the switch
R1 is the resistor after C1
R2 is the resistor in parallel
C2 is the capacitor in parallel

at the middle node between both resistor the KCL would look like this

I(R1)-I(R2)-I(C2)=0

where
I(R1)=I(C1)=v/R1+C1*dv(t)/dt
I(R2)=(v-v(R1)-v(C1))/R2
I(C2)=C2*d(v-v(R1)-v(C1))/dt

Am I going somewhere with this?
What should I do if I would like to know the step response of the whole circuit?

Thank you for your help

Step response is the system response(output) to a unit step excitation(input). It's not clear where the input and output are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lets say I would like to apply a constant 5V on the system as input and I would like to follow step by step the circuit charging...

I would like to know what the voltage in the circuit is at each time step v(t)

I have some progress from I(R1)-I(R2)-I(C2)=0

V(C1)=1/C1*integrate(I,dt)
V(R1)=R1*I
V(C2)=1/C2*integrate(I-I(R2),dt)=V(R2)=(I-I(C2))*R2

I(R1)=I(C1)=C1*dV(t)/dt=V/R1
I(C2)=C2*d(V-V(R1)-V(C1))/dt
I(R2)=(V-V(R1)-V(C1))/R2

Vtot=V(C1)+V(R1)+V(C2)=V(C1)+V(R1)+V(R2)

Itot=I(C1)=I(R1)=I(R2)+I(C2)

If I expand vtot:
Vtot=1/C1*integrate(I,dt)+R*I+(??) I have problem with the parallel circuit

Last edited:
If I understand well.. C2 will be charged rapidly (how fast??)... therefore after a short time the voltage drop will be equal to V=R2*Itot because no current goes through C2 anymore... if I follow this lead, this means that the capacitor holds a voltage equal to R2*Itot. So C1 will hold V(source)-V(R1)-R2*Itot when t=infinity

Does this make sense?

Last edited:

Related to Understanding RC Circuits: Derivative Equations for Voltage and Current

1. What is an RC circuit?

An RC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected in series. It is commonly used in electronic devices to control the flow of electric current.

2. How does an RC circuit work?

An RC circuit works by charging and discharging the capacitor through the resistor. When a voltage is applied to the circuit, the capacitor charges up to the same voltage as the source, and then gradually discharges until it reaches a steady state. This cycle repeats as long as the voltage is applied.

3. What is the time constant of an RC circuit?

The time constant of an RC circuit is a measure of how quickly the capacitor charges or discharges in response to a change in voltage. It is calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) and capacitance (C) values, or τ = RC.

4. How do you calculate the voltage across a capacitor in an RC circuit?

The voltage across a capacitor in an RC circuit can be calculated using the formula Vc = V(1-e^(-t/RC)), where V is the voltage of the source, t is time, R is the resistance, and C is the capacitance. This formula takes into account the charging and discharging of the capacitor over time.

5. What is the use of an RC circuit in electronics?

An RC circuit has many practical uses in electronics. It can be used as a filter to remove unwanted frequencies in a signal, as a timing circuit in electronic devices, and in combination with other components to create oscillators and amplifiers.