Uniform convergence and continuity

In summary, the first conversation is about the uniform convergence of the function kn(x), with one participant stating that it is uniformly convergent on closed bounded intervals but not on R. They ask for hints on how to prove it. In the second conversation, the participants discuss the continuity of a series involving a continuous function h(x). One suggests using the definition of uniform convergence and another mentions using the theorem of a continuous function on a compact set achieving its maximum and minimum.
rainwyz0706
1.kn (x) = 0 for x ≤ n
x − n, x ≥ n,
Is kn(x) uniformly convergent on R?

I can show that it is uniformly convergent on any closed bounded interval [a,b], but I don't think it is on R. Could anyone please give me some hints how to prove it?

2.Fix 0 < η < 1. Suppose now that h : [0, 1] → R is continuous. Prove that the series
t(x) = ∑ x^n h(x^n ) is uniformly convergent on [0, η]. Deduce that t(x) is continuous.

I'm not sure how to treat h(x^n) here, since it's not bounded. Could anyone help me figure it out?

Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
for the first, how about a slightly simpler case first... can you show whether y=x is uniformly convergent?

for the 2nd, i would start by considering the defintion of uniform convergence

so start with any e>0 and look at |t(x+e) - t(x)|

i haven't tried it yet, but i think the idea is the multiplication of x^n and the continuity of h(x) should do it...

Thanks for your reply. I think clearly y=x is not uniformly convergent, so I guess kn(x) isn't either?
About the second one, I tried to work with the epsilon-delta definition, but the result seemed still depend on n. Could you please be a bit more specific how you would do it?

Is the first question asking whether kn(x) is uniformly continuous? If not, is it asking whether the sequence kn(x) is uniformly convergent to the zero function? For the second question, are you familiar with the theorem that says a continuous function on a compact set achieves its maximum and minimum?

Thanks, I got it!

What is uniform convergence?

Uniform convergence is a type of convergence in which a sequence of functions converges to a limit function in such a way that the convergence is uniform across the entire domain of the functions. This means that the rate of convergence is independent of the specific point in the domain being considered.

How is uniform convergence different from pointwise convergence?

Pointwise convergence refers to a type of convergence in which a sequence of functions converges to a limit function at each individual point in the domain. In contrast, uniform convergence requires that the convergence be uniform across the entire domain, meaning that the rate of convergence is not dependent on the specific point being considered.

What is the importance of uniform convergence?

Uniform convergence is important because it ensures that a sequence of functions converges to a limit function in a way that is independent of the specific point in the domain being considered. This allows for the application of certain mathematical operations, such as integration and differentiation, to the limit function.

How is continuity related to uniform convergence?

Continuity is a property of a function that describes its smoothness and lack of abrupt changes. Uniform convergence is closely related to continuity, as a sequence of continuous functions can only converge uniformly if the limit function is also continuous. This means that uniform convergence can be used to prove the continuity of a limit function.

What is the Cauchy criterion for uniform convergence?

The Cauchy criterion for uniform convergence states that a sequence of functions converges uniformly if and only if, for any positive real number ε, there exists a positive integer N such that for all n,m > N, the distance between the functions fn and fm is less than ε for all values of x in the domain. This criterion is useful for determining whether a sequence of functions converges uniformly or not.