Uniform Rod Pendulum - Lagrangian and Equations of Motion

In summary: KEtotal = KEtranslational + KErotational= 1/2 mvc.o.m2 + 1/2 Ic.o.mω2where Ic.o.m is the moment of inertia about the centre of mass, and ω is the angular velocity
urkirsty

Homework Statement

A uniform rod AB of mass M and length 2l attatched to a slider at A which is constrained to move along a smooth horizontal wire. The rod, which is subject to gravity, is free to swing in the vertical plane containing the wire. Using Ω (the angle between rod and vertical) and x coordinate of the centre of mass, find an expression for the kinetic and potential energies, deduce Lagrange's equations. Show that the Lagrangian is regular.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been trying to get my head around this for 2 days but I've never seen anything like it before so I just don't know what to do.

I know I have to treat the rod as a continuum, but I've never done this before so I'm not sure how to. Also the coordinate system is one I've never seen before.

Sorry it doesn't seem like I've done much but I've tried every way I know and nothing's working, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi urkirsty! welcome to pf! :wink:

try this part first …

urkirsty said:
Using Ω (the angle between rod and vertical) and x coordinate of the centre of mass, find an expression for the kinetic and potential energies

… what do you get? :smile:

Well I have an equation for the Kinetic energy now, I've taken the kinetic energy in relation to the centre of mass and then added the kinetic energy from the rotation with the moment of inertia.
I have (x. means x differentiated wrt t, I wasn't sure how to show it on here)

KE = 1/2[Mx.^2 + θ.^2 Ml^2 sin^2(θ) + 1/3 θ.^2 Ml^2]

and Potential energy V = -Mglcosθ (taking up to be +ve)

Sorry those equation look really messy typed up here. I'm hoping they're at least on the right lines, fingers crossed!

hi urkirsty! :smile:

(use x' for derivative, and try the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)

urkirsty said:

and Potential energy V = -Mglcosθ (taking up to be +ve)

yes, that's fine :smile:

(except you need 2l at the end, not l)

now go for lagrange's equations!​

hi...what was your x and y?

was it y=-2lcosθ and x? and isn't your potential energy suppose to be v = -mg2lcosθ

How did you get the last part of KE...no can only get KE = 1/2[Mx.^2 + θ.^2 Ml^2 sin^2(θ)]

I don't know where to go from there? Please help me

I have the same problem as above, not knowing where that 1/3 θ.^2 Ml^2 term comes from, can anyone please help?

welcome to pf!

hi imjess! hi Nathen! welcome to pf! :smile:
Nathen said:
I have the same problem as above, not knowing where that 1/3 θ.^2 Ml^2 term comes from, can anyone please help?

that's the rotational kinetic energy

KEtotal = KEtranslational + KErotational

= 1/2 mvc.o.m2 + 1/2 Ic.o.mω2

where Ic.o.m is the moment of inertia about the centre of mass, and ω is the angular velocity

(in this case, Ic.o.m = (1/12)M(2l)2)

we can also write KEtotal = 1/2 Ic.o.rω2 where Ic.o.r is the moment of inertia about the centre of rotation

but in this case, we don't know where the centre of rotation is! :redface:

Thank you so much!

And is v= -2lmgcosθ. Just to check if that's right...

no, PE = -lmgcosθ

(you use the height of the centre of mass of the uniform rod of length 2l)

1. What is a regular elliptic pendulum?

A regular elliptic pendulum is a type of pendulum that swings back and forth in an elliptical motion instead of a straight line. It is often used in physics experiments to demonstrate principles of harmonic motion.

2. How does a regular elliptic pendulum work?

The regular elliptic pendulum works by utilizing the force of gravity and the tension in the pendulum string to create a swinging motion. As the pendulum swings, the tension in the string changes, causing the pendulum to follow an elliptical path.

3. What factors affect the motion of a regular elliptic pendulum?

The motion of a regular elliptic pendulum is affected by several factors, including the length of the pendulum string, the mass of the pendulum bob, and the angle at which the pendulum is released. The force of gravity and air resistance can also have an impact on the pendulum's motion.

4. What is the significance of studying a regular elliptic pendulum?

Studying a regular elliptic pendulum can help scientists understand concepts such as harmonic motion, gravity, and energy conservation. It can also provide insights into complex systems and help develop mathematical models to describe real-world phenomena.

5. How is a regular elliptic pendulum different from a simple pendulum?

A regular elliptic pendulum differs from a simple pendulum in its motion, with the former following an elliptical path and the latter following a straight line. The regular elliptic pendulum also has more complex factors affecting its motion, such as varying tension and air resistance, while the simple pendulum only considers gravity and string length.