1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unit vector cross products in different co-ords

1. Apr 10, 2012 #1
    hey,

i've been trying to work out how to determine the sign of cross products of unit vectors,

for example in cylindrical,

r x z = - theta

theta x z = r

r x theta = z

i can't figure out the sign,

r x z = |r||z|sinβ theta where β is the angle between them, which is 90°,

and the length of the vectors are 1

how can you tell that its actually -theta?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2012 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

I can think of 3 different ways to figure this out. You are probably familiar with at least one of them. When you have a cross-product between two vectors, how do you usually work out the direction of the resulting vector?

4. Apr 10, 2012 #3

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey Jesssa and welcome to the forums.

Consider that a x b = |a||b|sin(a,b)N where N is the normal vector and also <a,b> = |a||b|cos(a,b) where a x b is the cross product and <a,b> is the dot or inner product for Cartesian three dimensional space.

Now consider what sin(a,b) and cos(a,b) should be (in terms of sign) for the various quadrants.

5. Apr 10, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

i remember it by thinking that θ is in the same direction as y, and then using x x y = z etc :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook