1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unit vectors and direction cosines

1. Nov 14, 2012 #1
    Let [itex]\vec{A}[/itex] represent any nonzero vector. Why is [itex]\frac{\vec{A}}{A}[/itex] a unit vector and what is its direction? If θ is the angle that [itex]\vec{A}[/itex] makes with the positive x-axis, explain why [itex]\frac{\vec{A}}{A}\cdot\hat{i}[/itex] is called the direction cosine for that axis.

I am self-studying and this question has me stumped. I am familiar with the formula for a unit vector but I don't know why it's true and I have never really heard of a direction cosine. Could anyone give me some hints, perhaps?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2012 #2
    Okay, I've thought about the first part a little more. A unit vector is a vector whose magnitude is 1. So we must show that the magnitude of [itex]\frac{\vec{A}}{A}[/itex] is 1. Through algebraic manipulation I can show that pretty easily. I still don't know about the direction or the direction cosines, though.

4. Nov 14, 2012 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It isn't made clear, but presumably [itex]A = |\vec{A}|[/itex]. Since that is a scalar, what does dividing a vector by it do to the vector's direction?
    If [itex]\hat{i}[/itex] is a unit vector at angle θ to [itex]\vec{A}[/itex], what is the magnitude of [itex]\vec{A}\cdot\hat{i}[/itex]?

5. Nov 15, 2012 #4
    Ah, okay. (Yes, [itex]A[/itex] means [itex]|\vec{A}|[/itex].) Since it's a scalar, then the direction will remain the same.

[itex]\vec{A}\cdot \hat{i}[/itex] is equivalent to [itex]|\vec{A}|\cdot|\hat{i}|\cdot\cos\theta[/itex], or, since [itex]\hat{i}[/itex] is has a magnitude of 1, just [itex]|\vec{A}|\cos\theta[/itex]. I don't understand what is meant by the magnitude of this dot product, though. It's just a scalar, right?

Thanks so much for your help!!

6. Nov 15, 2012 #5
    I think I've got it. The magnitude of [itex]\frac{\vec{A}}{|\vec{A}|}[/itex] is just 1, and so is the magnitude of [itex]\hat{i}[/itex]. So [itex]\frac{\vec{A}}{|\vec{A}|}\cdot\hat{i}[/itex] is just [itex]\cos\theta[/itex].

So all that is just a long way of saying that the direction cosine is just the cosine of the angle between the x-axis and the vector?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook