1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unit Vectors with No Scalar

1. Sep 28, 2008 #1
    I have a question on an assignment that expects the I+J form of a vector but is only giving the direction(cardinal) or angle of the vector. See example below:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Unit vectors and are directed east and north, respectively. Calculate the unit vector (in terms of I and J) in the following directions.

(a) northeast
    (b) 47° clockwise from the -y axis
    (c) southwest

All answers demand an I + J response and I'm can't exactly figure out what it wants or where to even start without a scalar.

2. Relevant equations

Finding the I+J components with an angle of direction can be determined by using trigonometric functions to solve for components of the resulting reference right triangle.

3. The attempt at a solution

For the (a) problem, I tried putting in s for scale and tried a few different pseudo type answers but was not successful. e.g. rcos(45)i + rsin(45)j

Has anyone seen problems like this particular one or have any ideas on what it's asking for?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2008 #2
    You are correct with the equation for part a with rcos(45)i+rsin(45)j defining the vector. All you need here to solve for the i and j components of the vector is r. r is the magnitude of the vector and in this case its a unit vector. Use the same approach for parts b and c.
  4. Sep 28, 2008 #3
    So with it being a unit vector, r is = 1. This leaves me with the basic cos(45) & sin(45), etc... for their respective I+J values. I should be able to find the other solutions with trig functions as well.

Awesome! Thanks for giving me a push in the right direction!
  5. Nov 4, 2008 #4
    You have been given that i and j are directed to the east and north. This follows the standard convention for a 2D Cartesian coordinate system in which i and j are directed along the positive x and y axis respectively.

In this system, a unit vector with a direction alpha, measured counterclockwise from the x axis, is:

or in terms of i and j:

Cos[alpha] i + Sin[alpha] j

The angles (in degrees) you have been given are 135, 47, and 225
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?