1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unity tensor

1. Jan 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Imagine a spatially 2d world. The electromagnetic field could be richer here, because you could add to the Lagrangian L an additional term (known as the Chern-Simons Lagrangian)

[tex]L_{CS} = \epsilon_{0}\frac{\kappa}{2}\epsilon^{\alpha \beta \gamma}(\partial_{\alpha}A_{\beta})A_{\gamma}[/tex]​

where

[tex]\epsilon^{\alpha \beta \gamma}[/tex]

denotes the completely antisymmetric unity tensor in a world with 2 spatial dimensions (and time) and [tex]\kappa[\tex] is a coupling constant. In order to be suitable as part of the total Lagrangian, [tex]L_{CS}[\tex] must be a Lorentz scalar. Explain why the Chern-Simons expression is indeed a scalar. Why is the action generated by [tex]L_{CS}[\tex] guage-invariant?

3. The attempt at a solution

I must admit, I'm rather confused by this one, and haven't done much work with the unity tensor before (I've only just begun playing with tensors, really).

I was hoping to learn something by trying this problem, but haven't got anywhere with it yet, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2009 #2
    that sounds like an interesting problem. Firstly, it's obvious that L is either a scaler or pseudo-scaler. You just need to rule out that last possibility. Parity transformation maps
    [tex]u_0 \rightarrow u_0[/tex]
    [tex]u_1 \rightarrow -u_1[/tex]
    [tex]u_2 \rightarrow -u_2[/tex]

it suffices to show that L is invariant under this transformation. As for gauge invariance, this is pretty much the transformation:
    [tex]A_\alpha \rightarrow A_\alpha + \partial_\alpha V[/tex]
    for scaler V. If L changes by a divergences under this transformation, you get gauge-invariance.

4. Jan 12, 2009 #3
    Thank you :-)

Would I be right in thinking that a covariant dot product can be formed in the above (and these are invariant) - another way of looking at it (?)

Regarding the guage invariance, are you proposing simply to substitute that transformation into the above expression and see if I can kill off all the [tex]\partial_\alpha V[/tex] terms, somehow (?)

Cheers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?