Universe of indistinguishable quanta?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of the cosmos consisting of only identical particles. Some suggest that photons could be the fundamental particles, but others argue that electrons, quarks, neutrinos, W and Z bosons, and gluons also appear fundamental. The concept of string theory is also mentioned as a potential explanation for the fundamental particle. The conversation also references the book "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, which delves into the concept of strings. Finally, the conversation touches on other theories and ideas, such as the one-electron universe theory and Richard Feynman's lectures.
Loren Booda
Could our cosmos consist of only identical particles?

Space news on Phys.org
What exactly do you mean?

I agree w/ Drakkith. What DO you mean? On the face of it, this seems to be an absurd question so we're probably not getting your intent.

For instance, is it possible that photons are the fundamental particles? Please tell me briefly why if not.

Because electrons, quarks, neutrino's, W and Z bosons along with gluons also appear fundamental in the sense they have no detectable internal structure.

Loren Booda said:
For instance, is it possible that photons are the fundamental particles? Please tell me briefly why if not.

What IS it that you mean when you say "fundamental particle"? It seems that you are using this term in some way other than the way it is used in physics. Are you asking is it possible that ALL particles are just combinations of photons?

phinds said:
Are you asking is it possible that ALL particles are just combinations of photons?
Yes.

During the big bang, at extremely high temperatures, I interpreted that photons are the predominant particle, according to Roger Penrose in his "Road to Reality."

Loren Booda said:
Yes.

During the big bang, at extremely high temperatures, I interpreted that photons are the predominant particle, according to Roger Penrose in his "Road to Reality."

If there were still nothing but photons, then there would be nothing but photons. We are not made of photons. Planets are not made of photons. NOTHING is made of photons except photons (light).

Many people are pursuing string theory as a solution to the fundamental particle. String theory suggests that absolutely everything is made up of vibrating bands of energy, called strings, and that these vibrations are responsible for all particles, such as photons, electrons, gluons, quarks, etc. Brian Green's The Elegant Universe talks about strings in depth, and is worth reading. Note, however, that String Theory is still undergoing development, not to mention wait for a viable means of testing, and is therefore relegated to academics only at this point.

mjacobsca said:
Many people are pursuing string theory as a solution to the fundamental particle. String theory suggests that absolutely everything is made up of vibrating bands of energy, called strings, and that these vibrations are responsible for all particles, such as photons, electrons, gluons, quarks, etc. Brian Green's The Elegant Universe talks about strings in depth, and is worth reading. Note, however, that String Theory is still undergoing development, not to mention wait for a viable means of testing, and is therefore relegated to academics only at this point.

You got me back on track. Thanks for your worthwhile answer. The Elegant Universe it is. (I believe I saw Greene's show on TV, too.)

1. What is the Universe of Indistinguishable Quanta?

The Universe of Indistinguishable Quanta is a theoretical concept in quantum mechanics that suggests that all particles of the same type are identical and cannot be distinguished from one another. This means that two particles of the same type, such as electrons or photons, are completely identical in all properties and characteristics.

2. How is the Universe of Indistinguishable Quanta different from classical physics?

Classical physics views particles as distinguishable and separate entities with unique properties. In contrast, the Universe of Indistinguishable Quanta suggests that particles of the same type are indistinguishable and cannot be separated from one another.

3. Is there any evidence for the existence of the Universe of Indistinguishable Quanta?

While there is no direct evidence for the Universe of Indistinguishable Quanta, the concept is supported by several experiments in quantum mechanics, such as the double-slit experiment, which demonstrate the wave-like behavior of particles. Additionally, the concept is necessary for understanding and predicting the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

4. How does the Universe of Indistinguishable Quanta impact our understanding of the Universe?

The concept of the Universe of Indistinguishable Quanta challenges our understanding of the physical world and forces us to rethink the nature of particles and their interactions. It also has practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and cryptography.

5. Can the Universe of Indistinguishable Quanta be proven?

As a theoretical concept, the Universe of Indistinguishable Quanta cannot be proven in the traditional sense. However, its predictions have been confirmed through experiments, and it is widely accepted among scientists as a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics.