Unraveling the Mystery of Beat Frequencies in Musical Instruments

In summary, two flutes that are out of tune play the same note, with one producing a tone of 260 Hz and the other producing 266 Hz. When a tuning fork is sounded with the first flute, a beat frequency of 1 Hz is produced, and when it is sounded with the second flute, a beat frequency of 5 Hz is produced. To determine the frequency of the tuning fork, we use the equation Fbeat = |F - Ffork| and solve for both cases, taking into account the possibility of the flutes being too high or too low in frequency. The consistent answer is that the tuning fork has a frequency of 259 Hz.
shupert.11
Two-out-of-tune flutes play the same note. One produces a tone that has a frequency of 260 Hz, while the other produces 266 Hz. When a tuning fork is sounded together with the 260 Hz tone, a beat frequency of 1 Hz is produced. When the same tuning fork is sounded together with the 266 Hz tone, a beat frequency of 5 Hz is produced. What is the frequency of the tuning fork?

I have no idea where to start. I know that Fbeat= f-Ffork, but I don't think that helps me any. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
shupert.11 said:
I know that Fbeat= f-Ffork, but I don't think that helps me any.

Really? Well, for each flute, you are given two out of three of those frequencies, and are trying to find a third one. Of course, each flute could be out of tune in either direction (too high or too low), so it should really be Fbeat = |F - Ffork|. Which is the reason why you need both flutes in order to ascertain what frequency they are supposed to be playing, not just one.

I am still lost. If I solve the equation for the first flute: 1Hz= 260-Ffork then Ffork=259. If I solve for the 2nd flute 5Hz=266-Ffork then Ffork=261 which is an entirely different answer. Any suggestions. I know I am a little dense when it comes to physics!

shupert.11 said:
1Hz= 260-Ffork then Ffork=259.

NOT NECESSARILY. Read my first reply to you again. If we get a beat frequency of 1 hertz between the first flute and the tuning fork, then that means that the difference between the flute's frequency and the tuning fork's frequency is 1 hertz *in absolute value.* That's why I added the absolute value signs to your equation. Because (read this carefully)

If we get a beat frequency of 1 hertz, we DON'T know whether that means that the flute is 1 hertz too HIGH or whether it is 1 hertz too LOW. Either situation is possible. Again, repeating what I said in my first reply, that's why we need the second flute to make the determination. So the proper way to do this problem is to say that:

1 Hz = |260 - Ffork|

case 1: (260 - Ffork) is positive

then |260 - Ffork| = (260 - Ffork) = 1 Hz

==> Ffork = 259 Hz

case 2: (260 - Ffork) is negative

then |260 - Ffork| = -(260 - Ffork) = 1 Hz

==> Ffork = 261 Hz

To determine which of these cases is true in this situation, you have to do the same thing for the second flute and pick the answer that is consistent between both flutes.

The light bulb came on! Thanks you so much! I get it now!

Related to Unraveling the Mystery of Beat Frequencies in Musical Instruments

What is frequency?

Frequency is a measurement of the number of cycles or vibrations per unit of time. It is typically measured in Hertz (Hz), which represents one cycle per second.

How is frequency related to wavelength?

Frequency and wavelength are inversely proportional. This means that as frequency increases, wavelength decreases, and vice versa.

What is beat frequency?

Beat frequency is the difference in frequency between two sound waves or vibrations. It is perceived as a pulsating or throbbing sound when two waves with slightly different frequencies overlap.

How is beat frequency calculated?

Beat frequency can be calculated by subtracting the lower frequency from the higher frequency. For example, if one wave has a frequency of 100 Hz and the other has a frequency of 105 Hz, the beat frequency would be 5 Hz.

What is the significance of beat frequency?

Beat frequency has various applications, such as tuning musical instruments, detecting gravitational waves, and analyzing brain waves. It can also be used to study the properties of sound and vibrations in different materials.